Re: AW: like and optimization

От ncm@zembu.com (Nathan Myers)
Тема Re: AW: like and optimization
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jan 22, 2001 at 05:46:09PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Hannu Krosing <hannu@tm.ee> writes:
> > Is there any possibility to use, in a portable way, only our own locale
> > definition files, without reimplementing all the sorts uppercases etc. ?
>
> The situation is not too much different for timezones, BTW.  Might make
> sense to deal with both of those problems in the same way.

The timezone situation is much better, in that there is a separate
organization which maintains a timezone database and code to operate
on it.  It wouldn't be necessary to include the package with PG,
because it can be got at a standard place.  You would only need
scripts to download, build, and integrate it.

> Are there any BSD-license locale and/or timezone libraries that we might
> assimilate in this way?  We could use an LGPL'd library if there is no
> other alternative, but I'd just as soon not open up the license issue.

Posix systems include a set of commands for dumping locales in a standard
format, and building from them.  Instead of shipping locales and code to
operate on them, one might include a script to run these tools (where
they exist) to dump an existing locale, edit it a bit, and build a more
PG-friendly locale.

Nathan Myers
ncm@zembu.com