Re: Should heap_update/heap_delete hold buffer locks while toasting?

От Jan Wieck
Тема Re: Should heap_update/heap_delete hold buffer locks while toasting?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> The way that heap_update() and heap_delete() are currently coded, they
> hold the buffer context lock on the buffer containing the old tuple
> while they invoke heap_tuple_toast_attrs().  This strikes me as at least
> inefficient and at worst a source of deadlock.  Is it possible to avoid
> holding the buffer lock while doing the TOAST manipulations?
   Since the TOAST table access is doing it's own locking on the   TOAST tables, I think it'd be possible to move it
outside of   the buffer lock.

Jan

От: Jan Wieck
Сообщение: Re: is_view seems unnecessarily slow
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Assuming that TAS() will succeed the first time is verboten