Re: Trailing spaces in char or varchar fields

От Anthony E . Greene
Тема Re: Trailing spaces in char or varchar fields
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
On Thu, 04 Jan 2001 20:26:11 Tom Lane wrote:
>"Huy Do" <huy@travel.com.au> writes:
>> Is there a way to get postgres to keep the trailing spaces
>> in a field. I have an existing database which I am porting
>> to postgresql. This database allows fields to have trailing
>> spaces and many key fields have trailing spaces to distinguish
>> uniqueness (i know this is bad but it's legacy stuff).
>> When I dump my database and try to copy it into postgresql, it
>> complains about duplicate keys because postgres is trimming the
>> spaces.
>
>Postgres does not trim trailing spaces.  I suspect that that behavior
>is coming from whatever tool you used to transfer the data.
>
>            regards, tom lane

I have found in testing with pgsql that trailing spaces are ignored in
fixed-length char fields. In varchar fields, trailing spaces are
significant.

--
Anthony E. Greene <agreene@pobox.com> <http://www.pobox.com/~agreene/>
PGP Key: 0x6C94239D/7B3D BD7D 7D91 1B44 BA26  C484 A42A 60DD 6C94 239D