Re: Strange slow behavior in backend

От Jan Wieck
Тема Re: Strange slow behavior in backend
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Kyle wrote:
> I'm using 7.0.1 with a TCL frontend.
>
> I have a schema that splits large files into tuple-sized bites and
> stores them in a table.  This was done before TOAST in order to store
> large files.
>
> I have a backend TCL function that re-assembles the file like this:
>
> -- Fetch the specified document data, reassembling the bits back
> together
> -- in the right order.
> -- Calling sequence: cont_doc_fetch(crt_by,crt_date,ctype)
> create function cont_doc_fetch(int4,timestamp,varchar) returns text as '
>
>     set odata {}
>     spi_exec -array d "select data from cont_doc_data where crt_by =
> \'$1\' and crt_date = \'$2\' and ctype = \'[quote $3]\' order by seq" {
>         append odata $d(data)
>     }
>     return $odata
>     ' LANGUAGE 'pltcl';
>
> This worked great until I put a real big file in (about 5M).  Then, when
> I tried to fetch the file, it seemed really slow (about 60 seconds).  I
> tried reassembling the file in the frontend instead and my time dropped
> to about 6 seconds using this TCL fragment (mpg::qlist is an interface
> to pg_exec that returns a list of tuples):
>
>     set data {}
>     set tuple_list [mpg::qlist "select data from $ca(prefix)_doc_data
> where crt_by = $crt_by and crt_date = '$crt_date' and ctype = '$ctype'
> order by seq"]
>     foreach rec $tuple_list {
>         append data [lindex $rec 0]
>     }
>
> The only difference I can identify is whether the re-assembly TCL code
> is running as a procedural language (backend) or in the frontend.
> Anyone have any idea why the difference is so dramatic?
>
> Jan:
> Is this the difference between old TCL and new TCL (with multi-port
> objects)?  Or is there something else about the way the backend handles
> large chunks of data that would mark the difference?
   That's  it.  It  shouldn't have to do with the amount of data   invoked, but with the number of tuples returned  by
spi_exec  and spi_execp commands.

   Due  to  backwards  compatibility, all commands in the PL/Tcl   handler  still  use  the  old  string  interface.
Thus, the   procedure  text  for  each  tuple (in your case "append odata   $d(data)") is evaluated from it's string
representationagain   and  again,  needs to be interpreted and precompiled for each   single tuple by the Tcl
interpreter.I think using  Tcl_Obj's   here would cause a substantial improvement.

   I  plan  to  do  a  major overhaul of PL/Tcl after we have an   interface for  functions  returning  tuple  sets.
This will   include   loosing   the  backward  compatibility  to  pre-8.0   releases of Tcl because of using the
Tcl_Objinterface  only.

Jan

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления:

От: Jan Wieck
Сообщение: Re: Strange slow behavior in backend
От: hubert depesz lubaczewski
Сообщение: Re: How to represent a tree-structure in a relational database