Re: -F option

От newsreader@mediaone.net
Тема Re: -F option
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
On Mon, Dec 11, 2000 at 09:02:54PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> newsreader@mediaone.net writes:
> > What I would like to know is what 'sometime later' means.
> > Is it one hour? 30 seconds? 30 minutes?  24 hours?
>
> to writing it.  The nearby estimate of 1 minute sounds good to me as
> > ocassionally insert of small pieces of information and even less
> > frequent update of small pieces of information.
>
> OTOH, if you are not doing a lot of insert/update/delete then -F gains
> little performance anyway...
>
>             regards, tom lane

No os or hardware crashes for as long as I can remember on this box.
I also have ups running properly.

Anyway before I started using postgres -- just last week -- I was reading in
data from dbm file.  The main purpose was just to lookup one record out of over
1000 but I felt that as the size of that file grow I might start to see performance
hit in the future.   As far as I can see Apache::DBI is keeping the backends
alive.  Whenever I check top I see that there is always the exact same number
of apache children as the number of postgres backends.  So... my semi educated
guess is that data is being retrieved at least as fast as opening a dbm file and picking
out a record. No??

In any case the real reason I started using postgres was that after graduating
my server to mod_perl I was having a nightmare getting my previously working??
file locking mechanisms to work right.  With postgres I just don't have this
kind of problem.  As a side effect my codes are much cleaner now because
of the sheer power of the postgres.

Thanks much

kz