Large files on linux

От Fernan Aguero
Тема Large files on linux
Дата
Re: Large files on linux  (Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>)
Re: Large files on linux  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
Re: Large files on linux  (Peter T Mount <peter@retep.org.uk>)
Список pgsql-general
Dear all:

I am having trouble with large files on a Linux box (RH 6.2). I know there
is a limit of 2 GB on the file size, but do not know if this is kernel
related, filesystem related or both.

I am researchiing the issue (having some trouble to find info) and found
that there are several alternatives. Can you give me advice for/against the
ones you think are best/worse. Also, if you happen to have links to other
places which might have information on this issue, please pass them along.

Here are my options:

i) patch the kernel.
I didn't find much information about this one. I don't know yet whether
this is a kernel related limitation or filesystem-related or both. I have
also read that programs had to be patched to use this 'large_file' patch.
Will probably avoid this one.

ii) try a new kernel, 2.4-test
have to do some research into this yet, but apparently the new linux kernel
will support large files. My understanding right now is that ext2fs do not
support files this large, so this option will probably go together with the
next one.

iii) try a new filesystem.
several filesystems appear to support large files (but not ext2fs, and
apparently not ext3fs).
(http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue55/florido.html).

iv) go for another distro or unix
SuSE 7.0 reportedly has support for large files (> 2GB) although it uses a
pre2.4 kernel. I don't know how SuSE does it (patches like the ones
mentioned in (1) or a different filesystem?).
Another option is to go for a different unix, like FreeBSD, which has had
support for large files for a long while.

Thanks in advance,

Fernan