Re: -F option

От Charles Curley
Тема Re: -F option
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
On Mon, Dec 11, 2000 at 06:45:22PM -0500, newsreader@mediaone.net wrote:
> manual page states that
>
>        -F     Disable an automatic fsync()  call  after  each  transaction.   This  option
>               improves  performance,  but an operating system crash while a transaction is
>               in progress may cause the loss of the most recently  entered  data.  Without
>               the  fsync()  call the data is buffered by the operating system, and written
>               to disk sometime later.
>
> What I would like to know is what 'sometime later' means.
> Is it one hour? 30 seconds? 30 minutes?  24 hours?  I really don't
> mind losing the last 3 minutes or so of data.  If we are talking about 10
> hours or so then I will not use that switch.  I'm not looking
> for an answer with milisecond accuracy; just an upper bound +- 5 minutes
> will be ok.

Read "man fsync()".

The answer is, "When your operating system gets around to it." The answer
depends on a great many factors: hard drive speed, drive bus speed (SCSI
or IDE), RAID overhead, if any, file system overhead, processor
the ones that come easily to mind.

Having written disk drivers, I can tell you that you should be OK with a 5
minute latency requirement. In fact, on a reasonably loaded system, I
would hope all the data would be written within a minute. But I shan't be
greatly concerned unless latency is routinely greater than a minute.

I am assuming these are disk writes. With network writes (say, via NFS)
all bets are off.

--

        -- C^2

No windows were crashed in the making of this email.

Looking for fine software and/or web pages?
http://w3.trib.com/~ccurley
Вложения