Re: Re: Re: Why PostgreSQL is not that popular as MySQL ?

От Zachary Beane
Тема Re: Re: Re: Why PostgreSQL is not that popular as MySQL ?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, Dec 11, 2000 at 02:45:47AM -0500, Brett W. McCoy wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Dec 2000, Matthew wrote:
>
> > > I agree that the key developers shouldn't spend much time on such a
> > > thing, but on the other hand this isn't a project that requires a key
> > > developer to get done.  If Matthew or someone else feels like spending
> > > time on it, I wouldn't object...
> > >
> >     [Matthew]  I agree also, I didn't mean to imply that a core
> > developer work on it.  I was just asking if this was a project that would
> > interest people.  If it has enough demand I would get started on it.  I
> > don't know a whole lot about mysql, but getting a function list and
> > comparing it to postgre shouldn't be too hard.
>
> Ah, ok, I misunderstood your intention.
>
> You know what also would be good?  A guide to porting from MySQL to
> PostgreSQL, like a mini-HOWTO or something along those lines.  I've done
> some MySQL development (although I was using PostgreSQL even before I knew
> MySQL existed, believe it or not), so I would be willing to help in this
> endeavour.

I started keeping some notes on this very subject. There's not much, but
there are a few bits of info at

   http://www.xach.com/aolserver/mysql-to-postgresql.html

It may not be particularly useful, since I'm using an unreleased
version of PostgreSQL to write my notes from.

Zach
--
xach@xach.com     Zachary Beane     http://www.xach.com/