Re: Re: COPY BINARY file format proposal

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Re: COPY BINARY file format proposal
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Also, IIRC part of the problem with text-based COPY is that we can't
> specify field order (I think this affectes dumping the regression DB).
> Would it be possible to add the ability to (a) specify field order, and (b)
> dump a subset of fields?

Informix does this nicely:
UNLOAD TO "file"SELECT *FROM tab

Merging COPY and SELECT has some real advantages.  You can specify
columns, parts of a table using WHERE, and even joins.  Very flexible.

Perhaps, if the table name is missing from COPY, we can allow a SELECT:
COPY TO 'file'SELECT *FROM tab

Pennsylvania19026