JDBC: connection.isClosed() doesnt throw exception

От pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org
Тема JDBC: connection.isClosed() doesnt throw exception
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
andre levy (andre@freever.com) reports a bug with a severity of 2

Short Description
JDBC: connection.isClosed() doesnt throw exception

Long Description
connection.isClosed() doesn't throw an SQLException if "a database access error occurs". (cf
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/api/java/sql/Connection.html#isClosed())

this means that if connection to db is closed, or worse, if db is down, I can't know it until I actually try to send a
request!

Sample Code
This piece of code helps me to recover from a db restart without restarting my service...

  private Statement getStatement() throws SQLException {
    Statement stmt = null;

    try {
      boolean closed = m_connection.isClosed();

      if (closed)
       openDb();
    } catch(SQLException e) {
        closeDb();