Re: Trigger Problems?

От GH
Тема Re: Trigger Problems?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Dec 07, 2000 at 03:40:00PM -0600, some SMTP stream spewed forth:
> Ok, so I'm not sure why this is the way it is, but I figured out why the backend was failing every time I tried to
changethe data on the existing five tables.  When I dropped the five unused tables, I assumed that the DROP function
wouldalso remove the foreign key constraint triggers that were associated with the dropped tables.  But, in fact, they
wereleft in the db.  Therefore, every time any update or delete was performed on the existing tables, the constraint
triggerfired and failed.  I don't know if this was just my stupidity and I should have know to delete these triggers or
ifthis is a bug.  Either way, I learned something new.

Other than that, why would the connection die?
It seems like an error would be better.

gh

> Thanks,
> Darrin

maynot be able to post to the list.

>     It seems that I have found myself in a little bit of trouble.  I was wondering if there is anyone out there that
canhelp me.  Unfortunately, I am quite sure that I will not provide enough information to diagnose the problem, because
Idon't really know where to start.  But, here is what I do know:  Yesterday, I decided that it was time to get rid of
fivetables in my db that were not being used.  I proceeded to drop all five tables.  I then remembered that there were
inserttriggers on existing tables which called a function which updated the dropped tables.  So then I dropped the
functionand the triggers.  All of this seemed to be successful, but then I hit a serious problem.  Any attempt to
manipulatedata (anything but a select) in the still existing tables which had the triggers removed from them aborts
withthe following error:

>     pqReadData() -- backend closed the channel unexpectedly.
>             This probably means the backend terminated abnormally
>             before or while processing the request.
>     The connection to the server was lost. Attempting reset: Failed.
>     !#
>
>     Obviously, this is not good.  I have vacuum analyzed the db and that seemed to have processed fine.  If someone
couldpoint me in a good direction to figure out what is causing this, I would greatly appreciate it.  I am not opposed
todropping the bad tables and restoring from backups, but I am still interested in finding out what is wrong and what I
didwrong so that I don't do it again.

От: Ed Loehr
Сообщение: UNION within VIEW workarounds?
От: "Joel Burton"
Сообщение: Re: UNION within VIEW workarounds?