Re: Unanswered questions about Postgre

От Mike Castle
Тема Re: Unanswered questions about Postgre
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 12:16:39PM -0800, Mikheev, Vadim wrote:
> Oracle & Interbase have savepoints. Hopefully PG will also have them in 7.2

A feature that I liked from using Faircom's Ctree (granted not an SQL based
DB or one with built in relations) was auto-save points.  So, if something
failed, it could be rolled back to the previous auto-save point.

Just food for thought on how Ctree works.

A transaction, by default, will fail on the commit if there were any errors
within the transaction (though it would happily process all of your
commands after an error without additional failures, so it was less verbose
than the original psql demonstration at the beginning of this thread).
Also, by default, no auto-save points.

One could turn on auto-save points.  (If one wanted "normal" save-point
activities, you would get the save point counter number and then rollback
to that particular save point at some time).  This was convenient if you
wanted to just rollback the last operation that caused the error (this may
have had the side effect of unmarking the fact than an error occured, but I
don't think so.  There was another command to clear the transaction error,
with lots of disclaimers saying if you did that, you took your own
responsibilities).

Guess, in sort, what I'm saying is, if save points are added, might as well
add auto-save points while at it, and give the ability to selectively clear
the error and allow a transaction to commit anyway (keeping current method
as default, of course).

mrc
--
       Mike Castle       Life is like a clock:  You can work constantly
  dalgoda@ix.netcom.com  and be right all the time, or not work at all