Fail to restore index tables from pg_dumpall

От pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org
Тема Fail to restore index tables from pg_dumpall
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
jessica (jo@uk.xo.com) reports a bug with a severity of 1

Short Description
Fail to restore index tables from pg_dumpall

Long Description
Dear Pgsql-bugs Group,

I am not sure if this is a bug or not but I really hope if any of you can help me.  My problem is I fail to restore all
indextables from pg_dumpall command. First of all, I logged in as postgres superuser. Then I backed up my
PostgreSQL database which is in version 6.4.2 by using pg_dumpall.

# pg_dumpall -o > db.all

Subsequently, I initialize the template1 by running,
# initdb --template

After that, I restored this file into a newer version of PostgreSQL 7.0.2 by the below command.

# psql -e template1 < db.all

However, when I login to the database, I noticed that all the tables are restored properly except all my index tables
aremissing.

I then scrutinized the file generated by the pg_dumpall.  For example, the following statement is found in the file but
itdidn't seem to create the 'status_index' table.

CREATE  INDEX "status_index" on "ribs_log" using btree ( "status"
"int4_ops" );

I would be grateful if any of you could advise me how to backup and restore back the index tables into a newer version
ofdatabase in case I have done it incorrectly.  I only test the restoration on a test machine with version 7.0.2 but in
actualfact I will have to restore the database onto a machine with Postgres 6.5.3 installed which is bundled with the
LinuxRedhat 6.2.  I just want to make sure that I know all the steps before I tried it on the machine with
PostgreSQL 6.5.3.  I have presumed that there shouldn't have much difference, am I right?

I hope to hear from any of you soon as I am really desperate to migrate all the old data into the new machine.  I will
trullyappreciate for any advice that may be helpful.

Thank you.

regards,
Jessica Ord

Sample Code