Help in chosing Db: hierarchical data in tables

От Sergei O . Naumov
Тема Help in chosing Db: hierarchical data in tables
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi!
I am now in the process of choosing a Db for our next project. A central point

is that objects have a distinct tree-like structure (parent-child chains).
My question is whether there is anything I can do in Postgres that could
provide a functionality similar to Oracle's CONNECT BY/START WITH in queries.
Another problem is a performance of such a solution, if it exists.

Basically, my choice is now either Oracle or Postgres but Postgres is more
attractive because it's free and, quite frankly, Oracle would be an overkill
for this particular project.

Thanks much,
            Sergei