Re: [HACKERS] Re:RPM dependencies (Was: 7.0 vs. 7.1 (was: latest version?))

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Re:RPM dependencies (Was: 7.0 vs. 7.1 (was: latest version?))
Дата
Список pgsql-ports
> And, really, RPM shouldn't allow it for automatic requires.  Suppose I
> have an ancient client RPM that I want to install.  Assuming for one
> second that nothing else has changed on the system except the PostgreSQL
> version, if the client was built against PostgreSQL 6.2.1 with
> libpq.so.1, and I force the install of it even though libpq.so.2 is
> installed, freakish things can happen.  Been there and done that -- a
> client linked against Postgres95 1.0.1 did really strange things when
> libpq.so.2 was link loaded under it.
>
> Worse things happen if you have a package that requires tcl 7.4 and you
> have tcl 8.3.2 installed.
>
> Not everyone is as generous as we are with upwards compatibility.

And we aren't super-generous either.  I am not sure how far back we go
in allowing old libpq apps to talk to new servers.  We go one version at
least.  So you could allow for the current version number, plus one
minor number greater, and know that would work.

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Re:RPM dependencies (Was: 7.0 vs. 7.1 (was: latest version?))
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Re:RPM dependencies (Was: 7.0 vs. 7.1 (was: latest version?))