Re: Summary: what to do about INET/CIDR

От Larry Rosenman
Тема Re: Summary: what to do about INET/CIDR
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
* Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> [001027 21:53]:

> >> No need.  Let the user do it themselves. Similar to what we did for
> >> macaddr's back in the summer.
>
> > Yeah, it can be user-defined (or a contrib), no question about it, and for
> > people who have more than one table of networks, it will _have_ to be
> > user-defined.
>
> It seems clear to me that this mapping is best left to the user.
>
> A more interesting question is whether the system needs to provide any
> assisting functions that aren't there now.  The lookup function you guys
> are postulating seems like it would be (in the simple cases)
>     create function my_network(inet) returns cidr as
>     'select network from my_networks where ???'
> Maybe it's too late at night, but I'm having a hard time visualizing
> what the ??? condition is and whether any additional system-level
> functions are needed to make it simple/efficient.
I don't think we need this ASAP for 7.1.  Let's get the basic stuff
working from a "least surprise" standpoint, and see what the user base
comes up with.  I really think your proposal from earlier tonite is
the way to go, at least from my perspective.

Thanks again.

LER

--
Larry Rosenman                      http://www.lerctr.org/~ler
Phone: +1 972-414-9812 (voice) Internet: ler@lerctr.org

От: Lamar Owen
Сообщение: Re: Re: [GENERAL] 7.0 vs. 7.1 (was: latest version?)
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Proposal for DROP TABLE rollback mechanism