Re: Any risk in increasing BLCKSZ to get larger tuples?

От Neil Conway
Тема Re: Any risk in increasing BLCKSZ to get larger tuples?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Oct 19, 2000 at 04:24:54PM -0400, Joseph Shraibman wrote:
> Uh, why.  Does TOAST do automatic compression?  If people need to store
> huge blocks of text (like a DNA sequence) inline compression isn't just
> a hack to squeeze bigger text into a tuple.

Yes, TOAST does do automatic compression. Check the list archives or the
info here: http://www.postgresql.org/projects/devel-toast.html

It would be nice to be able to tell TOAST not to bother compressing a
given column... I remember Tom saying this would be possible, but AFAIK
there isn't a convenient user interface to it.

> I've been wondering why we haven't seen 7.1 before now then.  I mean why
> are you waiting on whatever you are waiting on?  Why not release 7.1 now
> and 7.2 in January with all the other features you want to add?

LOL...

My guess is it will be released When It's Ready. Some people put the
'lifeblood' of their company on an RDBMS - when released, people expect
it to be bugfree. Also, I understand some features still need to be
added (is WAL in yet?) - there should be a public beta fairly soon.

--
Neil Conway <neilconway@home.com>
Get my GnuPG key from: http://klamath.dyndns.org/mykey.asc

Blaming guns for Columbine is like blaming spoons for Rosie O'Donnell
being fat.

Вложения