Re: INHERITS doesn't offer enough functionality

От Alfred Perlstein
Тема Re: INHERITS doesn't offer enough functionality
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
* Oliver Elphick <olly@lfix.co.uk> [001018 04:59] wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>   >> Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>   >> >
>   >> > I noticed that INHERITS doesn't propogate indecies, It'd be nice
>   >> > if there was an toption to do so.
>   >>
>   >> Yep it would. Are you volunteering?
>   >>
>   >
>   >Added to TODO:
>   >
>   >    * Allow inherited tables to inherit index
>
> What is the spec for this?
>
> Do you mean that inheriting tables should share a single index with their
> ancestors, or that each descendant should get a separate index on the
> same pattern as its ancestors'?
>
> With the former, the inherited index could be used to enforce a primary
> key over a whole inheritance hierarchy, and would presumable make it
> easier to implement RI against an inheritance hierarchy.  Is this what
> you have in mind?

Not really, it's more of a convience issue for me, a 'derived table'
should inherit the attributes of the 'base table' (including indecies),
having an index shared between two tables is an interesting idea but
not what I had in mind.

Сообщение: Re: time stops within transaction
Сообщение: Re: time stops within transaction