Re: [GENERAL] PL/Perl compilation error

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: [GENERAL] PL/Perl compilation error
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
I can not apply this.  Seems it has changed in the current tree.  Here
is the current plperl.c file.

> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Can you send me a patch?
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have take a look to the source code concerning PL/Perl, it seems that 2 variables
> > > have a bad call : errgv and na.
> > >
> > > If you replace them by their normal call (in 5.6.0) PL_errgv and PL_na you will get
> > > success to compile the lib plperl.so.
> > >

> This patch (simple diff) applies to postgresql-7.0.2.
> See attachment...
>
> Regards
>
> Gilles DAROLD
>

> 328c328
> <     if (SvTRUE(GvSV(PL_errgv)))
> ---
> >     if (SvTRUE(GvSV(errgv)))
> 334c334
> <         elog(ERROR, "creation of function failed : %s", SvPV(GvSV(PL_errgv), PL_na));
> ---
> >         elog(ERROR, "creation of function failed : %s", SvPV(GvSV(errgv), na));
> 444c444
> <     if (SvTRUE(GvSV(PL_errgv)))
> ---
> >     if (SvTRUE(GvSV(errgv)))
> 450c450
> <         elog(ERROR, "plperl : error from function : %s", SvPV(GvSV(PL_errgv), PL_na));
> ---
> >         elog(ERROR, "plperl : error from function : %s", SvPV(GvSV(errgv), na));
> 654c654
> <         (SvPV(perlret, PL_na),
> ---
> >         (SvPV(perlret, na),
> 2192c2192
> <     output = perl_eval_pv(SvPV(output, PL_na), TRUE);
> ---
> >     output = perl_eval_pv(SvPV(output, na), TRUE);

/**********************************************************************
 * plperl.c - perl as a procedural language for PostgreSQL
 *
 * IDENTIFICATION
 *
 *      This software is copyrighted by Mark Hollomon
 *     but is shameless cribbed from pltcl.c by Jan Weick.
 *
 *      The author hereby grants permission  to  use,  copy,    modify,
 *      distribute,  and    license this software and its documentation
 *      for any purpose, provided that existing copyright notices are
 *      retained    in    all  copies  and  that    this notice is included
 *      verbatim in any distributions. No written agreement, license,
 *      or  royalty  fee    is required for any of the authorized uses.
 *      Modifications to this software may be  copyrighted  by  their
 *      author  and  need  not  follow  the licensing terms described
 *      here, provided that the new terms are  clearly  indicated  on
 *      the first page of each file where they apply.
 *
 *      IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR OR DISTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE TO ANY
 *      PARTY  FOR  DIRECT,    INDIRECT,    SPECIAL,   INCIDENTAL,     OR
 *      CONSEQUENTIAL   DAMAGES  ARISING    OUT  OF  THE  USE  OF  THIS
 *      SOFTWARE, ITS DOCUMENTATION, OR ANY DERIVATIVES THEREOF, EVEN
 *      IF  THE  AUTHOR  HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH
 *      DAMAGE.
 *
 *      THE  AUTHOR  AND    DISTRIBUTORS  SPECIFICALLY     DISCLAIM    ANY
 *      WARRANTIES,  INCLUDING,  BUT    NOT  LIMITED  TO,  THE    IMPLIED
 *      WARRANTIES  OF  MERCHANTABILITY,    FITNESS  FOR  A  PARTICULAR
 *      PURPOSE,    AND NON-INFRINGEMENT.  THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED ON
 *      AN "AS IS" BASIS, AND THE AUTHOR    AND  DISTRIBUTORS  HAVE  NO
 *      OBLIGATION   TO    PROVIDE   MAINTENANCE,     SUPPORT,  UPDATES,
 *      ENHANCEMENTS, OR MODIFICATIONS.
 *
 * IDENTIFICATION
 *      $Header: /home/projects/pgsql/cvsroot/pgsql/src/pl/plperl/plperl.c,v 1.13 2000/09/12 04:28:30 momjian Exp $
 *
 **********************************************************************/

/* system stuff */
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <stdarg.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <fcntl.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <setjmp.h>

/* postgreSQL stuff */
#include "executor/spi.h"
#include "commands/trigger.h"
#include "utils/elog.h"
#include "fmgr.h"
#include "access/heapam.h"

#include "tcop/tcopprot.h"
#include "utils/syscache.h"
#include "catalog/pg_proc.h"
#include "catalog/pg_type.h"

/* perl stuff */
/*
 * Evil Code Alert
 *
 * both posgreSQL and perl try to do 'the right thing'
 * and provide union semun if the platform doesn't define
 * it in a system header.
 * psql uses HAVE_UNION_SEMUN
 * perl uses HAS_UNION_SEMUN
 * together, they cause compile errors.
 * If we need it, the psql headers above will provide it.
 * So we tell perl that we have it.
 */
#ifndef HAS_UNION_SEMUN
#define HAS_UNION_SEMUN
#endif
#include "EXTERN.h"
#include "perl.h"

/**********************************************************************
 * The information we cache about loaded procedures
 **********************************************************************/
typedef struct plperl_proc_desc
{
    char       *proname;
    FmgrInfo    result_in_func;
    Oid            result_in_elem;
    int            result_in_len;
    int            nargs;
    FmgrInfo    arg_out_func[FUNC_MAX_ARGS];
    Oid            arg_out_elem[FUNC_MAX_ARGS];
    int            arg_out_len[FUNC_MAX_ARGS];
    int            arg_is_rel[FUNC_MAX_ARGS];
    SV           *reference;
}            plperl_proc_desc;

/**********************************************************************
 * The information we cache about prepared and saved plans
 **********************************************************************/
typedef struct plperl_query_desc
{
    char        qname[20];
    void       *plan;
    int            nargs;
    Oid           *argtypes;
    FmgrInfo   *arginfuncs;
    Oid           *argtypelems;
    Datum       *argvalues;
    int           *arglen;
}            plperl_query_desc;

/**********************************************************************
 * Global data
 **********************************************************************/
static int    plperl_firstcall = 1;
static int    plperl_call_level = 0;
static int    plperl_restart_in_progress = 0;
static PerlInterpreter *plperl_safe_interp = NULL;
static HV  *plperl_proc_hash = NULL;

#if REALLYHAVEITONTHEBALL
static Tcl_HashTable *plperl_query_hash = NULL;

#endif

/**********************************************************************
 * Forward declarations
 **********************************************************************/
static void plperl_init_all(void);
static void plperl_init_safe_interp(void);

Datum plperl_call_handler(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS);

static Datum plperl_func_handler(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS);

static SV  *plperl_build_tuple_argument(HeapTuple tuple, TupleDesc tupdesc);
static void plperl_init_shared_libs(void);

#ifdef REALLYHAVEITONTHEBALL
static HeapTuple plperl_trigger_handler(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS);

static int plperl_elog(ClientData cdata, Tcl_Interp *interp,
            int argc, char *argv[]);
static int plperl_quote(ClientData cdata, Tcl_Interp *interp,
             int argc, char *argv[]);

static int plperl_SPI_exec(ClientData cdata, Tcl_Interp *interp,
                int argc, char *argv[]);
static int plperl_SPI_prepare(ClientData cdata, Tcl_Interp *interp,
                   int argc, char *argv[]);
static int plperl_SPI_execp(ClientData cdata, Tcl_Interp *interp,
                 int argc, char *argv[]);

static void plperl_set_tuple_values(Tcl_Interp *interp, char *arrayname,
                        int tupno, HeapTuple tuple, TupleDesc tupdesc);

#endif

/**********************************************************************
 * plperl_init_all()        - Initialize all
 **********************************************************************/
static void
plperl_init_all(void)
{

    /************************************************************
     * Do initialization only once
    if (!plperl_firstcall)
        return;

    /************************************************************
     * Destroy the existing safe interpreter
    if (plperl_safe_interp != NULL)
    {
        perl_destruct(plperl_safe_interp);
        perl_free(plperl_safe_interp);
        plperl_safe_interp = NULL;
    }

    /************************************************************
     * Free the proc hash table
    if (plperl_proc_hash != NULL)
    {
        hv_undef(plperl_proc_hash);
        SvREFCNT_dec((SV *) plperl_proc_hash);
        plperl_proc_hash = NULL;
    }

    /************************************************************
     * Free the prepared query hash table

    /*
     * if (plperl_query_hash != NULL) { }
     */

    /************************************************************
     * Now recreate a new safe interpreter
    plperl_init_safe_interp();

    plperl_firstcall = 0;
    return;
}

/**********************************************************************
 * plperl_init_safe_interp() - Create the safe Perl interpreter
 **********************************************************************/
static void
plperl_init_safe_interp(void)
{

    char       *embedding[3] = {
        "", "-e",
        /* no commas between the next 4 please. They are supposed to be one string
         */
        "require Safe; SPI::bootstrap();"
        "sub ::mksafefunc { my $x = new Safe; $x->permit_only(':default');"
        "$x->share(qw[&elog &DEBUG &NOTICE &NOIND &ERROR]);"
        " return $x->reval(qq[sub { $_[0] }]); }"
        };

    plperl_safe_interp = perl_alloc();
    if (!plperl_safe_interp)
        elog(ERROR, "plperl_init_safe_interp(): could not allocate perl interpreter");

    perl_construct(plperl_safe_interp);
    perl_parse(plperl_safe_interp, plperl_init_shared_libs, 3, embedding, NULL);
    perl_run(plperl_safe_interp);

    /************************************************************
     * Initialize the proc and query hash tables
     ************************* ***********************************/
    plperl_proc_hash = newHV();

}

/**********************************************************************
 * plperl_call_handler        - This is the only visible function
 *                  of the PL interpreter. The PostgreSQL
 *                  function manager and trigger manager
 *                  call this function for execution of
 *                  perl procedures.
 **********************************************************************/

/* keep non-static */
Datum
plperl_call_handler(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS)
{
    Datum        retval;

    /************************************************************
     * Initialize interpreters on first call
    if (plperl_firstcall)
        plperl_init_all();

    /************************************************************
     * Connect to SPI manager
    if (SPI_connect() != SPI_OK_CONNECT)
        elog(ERROR, "plperl: cannot connect to SPI manager");
    /************************************************************
     * Keep track about the nesting of Tcl-SPI-Tcl-... calls
    plperl_call_level++;

    /************************************************************
     * Determine if called as function or trigger and
     * call appropriate subhandler
    if (CALLED_AS_TRIGGER(fcinfo))
    {
        elog(ERROR, "plperl: can't use perl in triggers yet.");

        /*
         * retval = PointerGetDatum(plperl_trigger_handler(fcinfo));
         */
        /* make the compiler happy */
        retval = (Datum) 0;
    }
    else
        retval = plperl_func_handler(fcinfo);

    plperl_call_level--;

    return retval;
}

/**********************************************************************
 * plperl_create_sub()        - calls the perl interpreter to
 *        create the anonymous subroutine whose text is in the SV.
 *        Returns the SV containing the RV to the closure.
 **********************************************************************/
static
SV *
plperl_create_sub(char * s)
{
    dSP;

    SV           *subref = NULL;
    int count;

    ENTER;
    SAVETMPS;
    PUSHMARK(SP);
    XPUSHs(sv_2mortal(newSVpv(s,0)));
    PUTBACK;
    count = perl_call_pv("mksafefunc", G_SCALAR | G_EVAL | G_KEEPERR);
    SPAGAIN;

    if (SvTRUE(ERRSV))
    {
        POPs;
        PUTBACK;
        FREETMPS;
        LEAVE;
        elog(ERROR, "creation of function failed : %s", SvPV_nolen(ERRSV));
    }

    if (count != 1) {
        elog(ERROR, "creation of function failed - no return from mksafefunc");
    }

    /*
     * need to make a deep copy of the return. it comes off the stack as a
     * temporary.
     */
    subref = newSVsv(POPs);

    if (!SvROK(subref))
    {
        PUTBACK;
        FREETMPS;
        LEAVE;

        /*
         * subref is our responsibility because it is not mortal
         */
        SvREFCNT_dec(subref);
        elog(ERROR, "plperl_create_sub: didn't get a code ref");
    }

    PUTBACK;
    FREETMPS;
    LEAVE;
    return subref;
}

/**********************************************************************
 * plperl_init_shared_libs()        -
 *
 * We cannot use the DynaLoader directly to get at the Opcode
 * module (used by Safe.pm). So, we link Opcode into ourselves
 * and do the initialization behind perl's back.
 *
 **********************************************************************/

extern void boot_Opcode _((CV * cv));
extern void boot_SPI _((CV * cv));

static void
plperl_init_shared_libs(void)
{
    char       *file = __FILE__;

    newXS("Opcode::bootstrap", boot_Opcode, file);
    newXS("SPI::bootstrap", boot_SPI, file);
}

/**********************************************************************
 * plperl_call_perl_func()        - calls a perl function through the RV
 *            stored in the prodesc structure. massages the input parms properly
 **********************************************************************/
static
SV *
plperl_call_perl_func(plperl_proc_desc * desc, FunctionCallInfo fcinfo)
{
    dSP;

    SV           *retval;
    int            i;
    int            count;

    ENTER;
    SAVETMPS;

    PUSHMARK(sp);
    for (i = 0; i < desc->nargs; i++)
    {
        if (desc->arg_is_rel[i])
        {
            TupleTableSlot *slot = (TupleTableSlot *) fcinfo->arg[i];
            SV           *hashref;

            Assert(slot != NULL && ! fcinfo->argnull[i]);
            /*
             * plperl_build_tuple_argument better return a mortal SV.
             */
            hashref = plperl_build_tuple_argument(slot->val,
                                                  slot->ttc_tupleDescriptor);
            XPUSHs(hashref);
        }
        else
        {
            if (fcinfo->argnull[i])
            {
                XPUSHs(&PL_sv_undef);
            }
            else
            {
                char       *tmp;

                tmp = DatumGetCString(FunctionCall3(&(desc->arg_out_func[i]),
                                      fcinfo->arg[i],
                                      ObjectIdGetDatum(desc->arg_out_elem[i]),
                                      Int32GetDatum(desc->arg_out_len[i])));
                XPUSHs(sv_2mortal(newSVpv(tmp, 0)));
                pfree(tmp);
            }
        }
    }
    PUTBACK;
    count = perl_call_sv(desc->reference, G_SCALAR | G_EVAL | G_KEEPERR);

    SPAGAIN;

    if (count != 1)
    {
        PUTBACK;
        FREETMPS;
        LEAVE;
        elog(ERROR, "plperl : didn't get a return item from function");
    }

    if (SvTRUE(ERRSV))
    {
        POPs;
        PUTBACK;
        FREETMPS;
        LEAVE;
        elog(ERROR, "plperl : error from function : %s", SvPV_nolen(ERRSV));
    }

    retval = newSVsv(POPs);

    PUTBACK;
    FREETMPS;
    LEAVE;

    return retval;

}

/**********************************************************************
 * plperl_func_handler()        - Handler for regular function calls
 **********************************************************************/
static Datum
plperl_func_handler(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS)
{
    int            i;
    char        internal_proname[512];
    int            proname_len;
    plperl_proc_desc *prodesc;
    SV           *perlret;
    Datum        retval;
    sigjmp_buf    save_restart;

    /************************************************************
     * Build our internal proc name from the functions Oid
    sprintf(internal_proname, "__PLPerl_proc_%u", fcinfo->flinfo->fn_oid);
    proname_len = strlen(internal_proname);

    /************************************************************
     * Lookup the internal proc name in the hashtable
    if (!hv_exists(plperl_proc_hash, internal_proname, proname_len))
    {
        /************************************************************
         * If we haven't found it in the hashtable, we analyze
         * the functions arguments and returntype and store
         * the in-/out-functions in the prodesc block and create
         * a new hashtable entry for it.
         *
         * Then we load the procedure into the safe interpreter.
        HeapTuple    procTup;
        HeapTuple    typeTup;
        Form_pg_proc procStruct;
        Form_pg_type typeStruct;
        char       *proc_source;

        /************************************************************
         * Allocate a new procedure description block
        prodesc = (plperl_proc_desc *) malloc(sizeof(plperl_proc_desc));
        prodesc->proname = malloc(strlen(internal_proname) + 1);
        strcpy(prodesc->proname, internal_proname);

        /************************************************************
         * Lookup the pg_proc tuple by Oid
        procTup = SearchSysCacheTuple(PROCOID,
                                      ObjectIdGetDatum(fcinfo->flinfo->fn_oid),
                                      0, 0, 0);
        if (!HeapTupleIsValid(procTup))
        {
            free(prodesc->proname);
            free(prodesc);
            elog(ERROR, "plperl: cache lookup for proc %u failed",
                 fcinfo->flinfo->fn_oid);
        }
        procStruct = (Form_pg_proc) GETSTRUCT(procTup);

        /************************************************************
         * Get the required information for input conversion of the
         * return value.
        typeTup = SearchSysCacheTuple(TYPEOID,
                                ObjectIdGetDatum(procStruct->prorettype),
                                      0, 0, 0);
        if (!HeapTupleIsValid(typeTup))
        {
            free(prodesc->proname);
            free(prodesc);
            elog(ERROR, "plperl: cache lookup for return type %u failed",
                 procStruct->prorettype);
        }
        typeStruct = (Form_pg_type) GETSTRUCT(typeTup);

        if (typeStruct->typrelid != InvalidOid)
        {
            free(prodesc->proname);
            free(prodesc);
            elog(ERROR, "plperl: return types of tuples not supported yet");
        }

        fmgr_info(typeStruct->typinput, &(prodesc->result_in_func));
        prodesc->result_in_elem = (Oid) (typeStruct->typelem);
        prodesc->result_in_len = typeStruct->typlen;

        /************************************************************
         * Get the required information for output conversion
         * of all procedure arguments
        prodesc->nargs = procStruct->pronargs;
        for (i = 0; i < prodesc->nargs; i++)
        {
            typeTup = SearchSysCacheTuple(TYPEOID,
                            ObjectIdGetDatum(procStruct->proargtypes[i]),
                                          0, 0, 0);
            if (!HeapTupleIsValid(typeTup))
            {
                free(prodesc->proname);
                free(prodesc);
                elog(ERROR, "plperl: cache lookup for argument type %u failed",
                     procStruct->proargtypes[i]);
            }
            typeStruct = (Form_pg_type) GETSTRUCT(typeTup);

            if (typeStruct->typrelid != InvalidOid)
                prodesc->arg_is_rel[i] = 1;
            else
                prodesc->arg_is_rel[i] = 0;

            fmgr_info(typeStruct->typoutput, &(prodesc->arg_out_func[i]));
            prodesc->arg_out_elem[i] = (Oid) (typeStruct->typelem);
            prodesc->arg_out_len[i] = typeStruct->typlen;

        }

        /************************************************************
         * create the text of the anonymous subroutine.
         * we do not use a named subroutine so that we can call directly
         * through the reference.
         *
        proc_source = DatumGetCString(DirectFunctionCall1(textout,
                                    PointerGetDatum(&procStruct->prosrc)));

        /************************************************************
         * Create the procedure in the interpreter
        prodesc->reference = plperl_create_sub(proc_source);
        pfree(proc_source);
        if (!prodesc->reference)
        {
            free(prodesc->proname);
            free(prodesc);
            elog(ERROR, "plperl: cannot create internal procedure %s",
                 internal_proname);
        }

        /************************************************************
         * Add the proc description block to the hashtable
        hv_store(plperl_proc_hash, internal_proname, proname_len,
                 newSViv((IV) prodesc), 0);
    }
    else
    {
        /************************************************************
         * Found the proc description block in the hashtable
        prodesc = (plperl_proc_desc *) SvIV(*hv_fetch(plperl_proc_hash,
                                      internal_proname, proname_len, 0));
    }

    memcpy(&save_restart, &Warn_restart, sizeof(save_restart));

    if (sigsetjmp(Warn_restart, 1) != 0)
    {
        memcpy(&Warn_restart, &save_restart, sizeof(Warn_restart));
        plperl_restart_in_progress = 1;
        if (--plperl_call_level == 0)
            plperl_restart_in_progress = 0;
        siglongjmp(Warn_restart, 1);
    }

    /************************************************************
     * Call the Perl function
    perlret = plperl_call_perl_func(prodesc, fcinfo);

    /************************************************************
     * Disconnect from SPI manager and then create the return
     * values datum (if the input function does a palloc for it
     * this must not be allocated in the SPI memory context
     * because SPI_finish would free it).
    if (SPI_finish() != SPI_OK_FINISH)
        elog(ERROR, "plperl: SPI_finish() failed");

    /* XXX is this the approved way to check for an undef result? */
    if (perlret == &PL_sv_undef)
    {
        retval = (Datum) 0;
        fcinfo->isnull = true;
    }
    else
    {
        retval = FunctionCall3(&prodesc->result_in_func,
                               PointerGetDatum(SvPV_nolen(perlret)),
                               ObjectIdGetDatum(prodesc->result_in_elem),
                               Int32GetDatum(prodesc->result_in_len));
    }

    SvREFCNT_dec(perlret);

    memcpy(&Warn_restart, &save_restart, sizeof(Warn_restart));
    if (plperl_restart_in_progress)
    {
        if (--plperl_call_level == 0)
            plperl_restart_in_progress = 0;
        siglongjmp(Warn_restart, 1);
    }

    return retval;
}

#ifdef REALLYHAVEITONTHEBALL
/**********************************************************************
 * plperl_trigger_handler() - Handler for trigger calls
 **********************************************************************/
static HeapTuple
plperl_trigger_handler(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS)
{
    TriggerData *trigdata = (TriggerData *) fcinfo->context;
    char        internal_proname[512];
    char       *stroid;
    Tcl_HashEntry *hashent;
    int            hashnew;
    plperl_proc_desc *prodesc;
    TupleDesc    tupdesc;
    HeapTuple    rettup;
    Tcl_DString tcl_cmd;
    Tcl_DString tcl_trigtup;
    Tcl_DString tcl_newtup;
    int            tcl_rc;
    int            i;

    int           *modattrs;
    Datum       *modvalues;
    char       *modnulls;

    int            ret_numvals;
    char      **ret_values;

    sigjmp_buf    save_restart;

    /************************************************************
     * Build our internal proc name from the functions Oid
    sprintf(internal_proname, "__PLPerl_proc_%u", fcinfo->flinfo->fn_oid);

    /************************************************************
     * Lookup the internal proc name in the hashtable
    hashent = Tcl_FindHashEntry(plperl_proc_hash, internal_proname);
    if (hashent == NULL)
    {
        /************************************************************
         * If we haven't found it in the hashtable,
         * we load the procedure into the safe interpreter.
        Tcl_DString proc_internal_def;
        Tcl_DString proc_internal_body;
        HeapTuple    procTup;
        Form_pg_proc procStruct;
        char       *proc_source;

        /************************************************************
         * Allocate a new procedure description block
        prodesc = (plperl_proc_desc *) malloc(sizeof(plperl_proc_desc));
        memset(prodesc, 0, sizeof(plperl_proc_desc));
        prodesc->proname = malloc(strlen(internal_proname) + 1);
        strcpy(prodesc->proname, internal_proname);

        /************************************************************
         * Lookup the pg_proc tuple by Oid
        procTup = SearchSysCacheTuple(PROCOID,
                                      ObjectIdGetDatum(fcinfo->flinfo->fn_oid),
                                      0, 0, 0);
        if (!HeapTupleIsValid(procTup))
        {
            free(prodesc->proname);
            free(prodesc);
            elog(ERROR, "plperl: cache lookup for proc %u failed",
                 fcinfo->flinfo->fn_oid);
        }
        procStruct = (Form_pg_proc) GETSTRUCT(procTup);

        /************************************************************
         * Create the tcl command to define the internal
         * procedure
        Tcl_DStringInit(&proc_internal_def);
        Tcl_DStringInit(&proc_internal_body);
        Tcl_DStringAppendElement(&proc_internal_def, "proc");
        Tcl_DStringAppendElement(&proc_internal_def, internal_proname);
        Tcl_DStringAppendElement(&proc_internal_def,
                                 "TG_name TG_relid TG_relatts TG_when TG_level TG_op __PLTcl_Tup_NEW __PLTcl_Tup_OLD
args");

        /************************************************************
         * prefix procedure body with
         * upvar #0 <internal_procname> GD
         * and with appropriate setting of NEW, OLD,
         * and the arguments as numerical variables.
        Tcl_DStringAppend(&proc_internal_body, "upvar #0 ", -1);
        Tcl_DStringAppend(&proc_internal_body, internal_proname, -1);
        Tcl_DStringAppend(&proc_internal_body, " GD\n", -1);

        Tcl_DStringAppend(&proc_internal_body,
                          "array set NEW $__PLTcl_Tup_NEW\n", -1);
        Tcl_DStringAppend(&proc_internal_body,
                          "array set OLD $__PLTcl_Tup_OLD\n", -1);

        Tcl_DStringAppend(&proc_internal_body,
                          "set i 0\n"
                          "set v 0\n"
                          "foreach v $args {\n"
                          "  incr i\n"
                          "  set $i $v\n"
                          "}\n"
                          "unset i v\n\n", -1);

        proc_source = DatumGetCString(DirectFunctionCall1(textout,
                                    PointerGetDatum(&procStruct->prosrc)));
        Tcl_DStringAppend(&proc_internal_body, proc_source, -1);
        pfree(proc_source);
        Tcl_DStringAppendElement(&proc_internal_def,
                                 Tcl_DStringValue(&proc_internal_body));
        Tcl_DStringFree(&proc_internal_body);

        /************************************************************
         * Create the procedure in the safe interpreter
        tcl_rc = Tcl_GlobalEval(plperl_safe_interp,
                                Tcl_DStringValue(&proc_internal_def));
        Tcl_DStringFree(&proc_internal_def);
        if (tcl_rc != TCL_OK)
        {
            free(prodesc->proname);
            free(prodesc);
            elog(ERROR, "plperl: cannot create internal procedure %s - %s",
                 internal_proname, plperl_safe_interp->result);
        }

        /************************************************************
         * Add the proc description block to the hashtable
        hashent = Tcl_CreateHashEntry(plperl_proc_hash,
                                      prodesc->proname, &hashnew);
        Tcl_SetHashValue(hashent, (ClientData) prodesc);
    }
    else
    {
        /************************************************************
         * Found the proc description block in the hashtable
        prodesc = (plperl_proc_desc *) Tcl_GetHashValue(hashent);
    }

    tupdesc = trigdata->tg_relation->rd_att;

    /************************************************************
     * Create the tcl command to call the internal
     * proc in the safe interpreter
    Tcl_DStringInit(&tcl_cmd);
    Tcl_DStringInit(&tcl_trigtup);
    Tcl_DStringInit(&tcl_newtup);

    /************************************************************
     * We call external functions below - care for elog(ERROR)
    memcpy(&save_restart, &Warn_restart, sizeof(save_restart));
    if (sigsetjmp(Warn_restart, 1) != 0)
    {
        memcpy(&Warn_restart, &save_restart, sizeof(Warn_restart));
        Tcl_DStringFree(&tcl_cmd);
        Tcl_DStringFree(&tcl_trigtup);
        Tcl_DStringFree(&tcl_newtup);
        plperl_restart_in_progress = 1;
        if (--plperl_call_level == 0)
            plperl_restart_in_progress = 0;
        siglongjmp(Warn_restart, 1);
    }

    /* The procedure name */
    Tcl_DStringAppendElement(&tcl_cmd, internal_proname);

    /* The trigger name for argument TG_name */
    Tcl_DStringAppendElement(&tcl_cmd, trigdata->tg_trigger->tgname);

    /* The oid of the trigger relation for argument TG_relid */
    stroid = DatumGetCString(DirectFunctionCall1(oidout,
                             ObjectIdGetDatum(trigdata->tg_relation->rd_id)));
    Tcl_DStringAppendElement(&tcl_cmd, stroid);
    pfree(stroid);

    /* A list of attribute names for argument TG_relatts */
    Tcl_DStringAppendElement(&tcl_trigtup, "");
    for (i = 0; i < tupdesc->natts; i++)
        Tcl_DStringAppendElement(&tcl_trigtup, tupdesc->attrs[i]->attname.data);
    Tcl_DStringAppendElement(&tcl_cmd, Tcl_DStringValue(&tcl_trigtup));
    Tcl_DStringFree(&tcl_trigtup);
    Tcl_DStringInit(&tcl_trigtup);

    /* The when part of the event for TG_when */
    if (TRIGGER_FIRED_BEFORE(trigdata->tg_event))
        Tcl_DStringAppendElement(&tcl_cmd, "BEFORE");
    else if (TRIGGER_FIRED_AFTER(trigdata->tg_event))
        Tcl_DStringAppendElement(&tcl_cmd, "AFTER");
    else
        Tcl_DStringAppendElement(&tcl_cmd, "UNKNOWN");

    /* The level part of the event for TG_level */
    if (TRIGGER_FIRED_FOR_ROW(trigdata->tg_event))
        Tcl_DStringAppendElement(&tcl_cmd, "ROW");
    else if (TRIGGER_FIRED_FOR_STATEMENT(trigdata->tg_event))
        Tcl_DStringAppendElement(&tcl_cmd, "STATEMENT");
    else
        Tcl_DStringAppendElement(&tcl_cmd, "UNKNOWN");

    /* Build the data list for the trigtuple */
    plperl_build_tuple_argument(trigdata->tg_trigtuple,
                                tupdesc, &tcl_trigtup);

    /*
     * Now the command part of the event for TG_op and data for NEW and
     * OLD
     */
    if (TRIGGER_FIRED_BY_INSERT(trigdata->tg_event))
    {
        Tcl_DStringAppendElement(&tcl_cmd, "INSERT");

        Tcl_DStringAppendElement(&tcl_cmd, Tcl_DStringValue(&tcl_trigtup));
        Tcl_DStringAppendElement(&tcl_cmd, "");

        rettup = trigdata->tg_trigtuple;
    }
    else if (TRIGGER_FIRED_BY_DELETE(trigdata->tg_event))
    {
        Tcl_DStringAppendElement(&tcl_cmd, "DELETE");

        Tcl_DStringAppendElement(&tcl_cmd, "");
        Tcl_DStringAppendElement(&tcl_cmd, Tcl_DStringValue(&tcl_trigtup));

        rettup = trigdata->tg_trigtuple;
    }
    else if (TRIGGER_FIRED_BY_UPDATE(trigdata->tg_event))
    {
        Tcl_DStringAppendElement(&tcl_cmd, "UPDATE");

        plperl_build_tuple_argument(trigdata->tg_newtuple,
                                    tupdesc, &tcl_newtup);

        Tcl_DStringAppendElement(&tcl_cmd, Tcl_DStringValue(&tcl_newtup));
        Tcl_DStringAppendElement(&tcl_cmd, Tcl_DStringValue(&tcl_trigtup));

        rettup = trigdata->tg_newtuple;
    }
    else
    {
        Tcl_DStringAppendElement(&tcl_cmd, "UNKNOWN");

        Tcl_DStringAppendElement(&tcl_cmd, Tcl_DStringValue(&tcl_trigtup));
        Tcl_DStringAppendElement(&tcl_cmd, Tcl_DStringValue(&tcl_trigtup));

        rettup = trigdata->tg_trigtuple;
    }

    memcpy(&Warn_restart, &save_restart, sizeof(Warn_restart));
    Tcl_DStringFree(&tcl_trigtup);
    Tcl_DStringFree(&tcl_newtup);

    /************************************************************
     * Finally append the arguments from CREATE TRIGGER
    for (i = 0; i < trigdata->tg_trigger->tgnargs; i++)
        Tcl_DStringAppendElement(&tcl_cmd, trigdata->tg_trigger->tgargs[i]);

    /************************************************************
     * Call the Tcl function
    tcl_rc = Tcl_GlobalEval(plperl_safe_interp, Tcl_DStringValue(&tcl_cmd));
    Tcl_DStringFree(&tcl_cmd);

    /************************************************************
     * Check the return code from Tcl and handle
     * our special restart mechanism to get rid
     * of all nested call levels on transaction
     * abort.
    if (tcl_rc == TCL_ERROR || plperl_restart_in_progress)
    {
        if (!plperl_restart_in_progress)
        {
            plperl_restart_in_progress = 1;
            if (--plperl_call_level == 0)
                plperl_restart_in_progress = 0;
            elog(ERROR, "plperl: %s", plperl_safe_interp->result);
        }
        if (--plperl_call_level == 0)
            plperl_restart_in_progress = 0;
        siglongjmp(Warn_restart, 1);
    }

    switch (tcl_rc)
    {
        case TCL_OK:
            break;

        default:
            elog(ERROR, "plperl: unsupported TCL return code %d", tcl_rc);
    }

    /************************************************************
     * The return value from the procedure might be one of
     * the magic strings OK or SKIP or a list from array get
    if (SPI_finish() != SPI_OK_FINISH)
        elog(ERROR, "plperl: SPI_finish() failed");

    if (strcmp(plperl_safe_interp->result, "OK") == 0)
        return rettup;
    if (strcmp(plperl_safe_interp->result, "SKIP") == 0)
    {
        return (HeapTuple) NULL;;
    }

    /************************************************************
     * Convert the result value from the safe interpreter
     * and setup structures for SPI_modifytuple();
    if (Tcl_SplitList(plperl_safe_interp, plperl_safe_interp->result,
                      &ret_numvals, &ret_values) != TCL_OK)
    {
        elog(NOTICE, "plperl: cannot split return value from trigger");
        elog(ERROR, "plperl: %s", plperl_safe_interp->result);
    }

    if (ret_numvals % 2 != 0)
    {
        ckfree(ret_values);
        elog(ERROR, "plperl: invalid return list from trigger - must have even # of elements");
    }

    modattrs = (int *) palloc(tupdesc->natts * sizeof(int));
    modvalues = (Datum *) palloc(tupdesc->natts * sizeof(Datum));
    for (i = 0; i < tupdesc->natts; i++)
    {
        modattrs[i] = i + 1;
        modvalues[i] = (Datum) NULL;
    }

    modnulls = palloc(tupdesc->natts + 1);
    memset(modnulls, 'n', tupdesc->natts);
    modnulls[tupdesc->natts] = '\0';

    /************************************************************
     * Care for possible elog(ERROR)'s below
    if (sigsetjmp(Warn_restart, 1) != 0)
    {
        memcpy(&Warn_restart, &save_restart, sizeof(Warn_restart));
        ckfree(ret_values);
        plperl_restart_in_progress = 1;
        if (--plperl_call_level == 0)
            plperl_restart_in_progress = 0;
        siglongjmp(Warn_restart, 1);
    }

    i = 0;
    while (i < ret_numvals)
    {
        int            attnum;
        HeapTuple    typeTup;
        Oid            typinput;
        Oid            typelem;
        FmgrInfo    finfo;

        /************************************************************
         * Ignore pseudo elements with a dot name
        if (*(ret_values[i]) == '.')
        {
            i += 2;
            continue;
        }

        /************************************************************
         * Get the attribute number
        attnum = SPI_fnumber(tupdesc, ret_values[i++]);
        if (attnum == SPI_ERROR_NOATTRIBUTE)
            elog(ERROR, "plperl: invalid attribute '%s'", ret_values[--i]);

        /************************************************************
         * Lookup the attribute type in the syscache
         * for the input function
        typeTup = SearchSysCacheTuple(TYPEOID,
                  ObjectIdGetDatum(tupdesc->attrs[attnum - 1]->atttypid),
                                      0, 0, 0);
        if (!HeapTupleIsValid(typeTup))
        {
            elog(ERROR, "plperl: Cache lookup for attribute '%s' type %u failed",
                 ret_values[--i],
                 tupdesc->attrs[attnum - 1]->atttypid);
        }
        typinput = (Oid) (((Form_pg_type) GETSTRUCT(typeTup))->typinput);
        typelem = (Oid) (((Form_pg_type) GETSTRUCT(typeTup))->typelem);

        /************************************************************
         * Set the attribute to NOT NULL and convert the contents
        modnulls[attnum - 1] = ' ';
        fmgr_info(typinput, &finfo);
        modvalues[attnum - 1] =
            FunctionCall3(&finfo,
                          CStringGetDatum(ret_values[i++]),
                          ObjectIdGetDatum(typelem),
                          Int32GetDatum(tupdesc->attrs[attnum-1]->atttypmod));
    }

    rettup = SPI_modifytuple(trigdata->tg_relation, rettup, tupdesc->natts,
                             modattrs, modvalues, modnulls);

    pfree(modattrs);
    pfree(modvalues);
    pfree(modnulls);

    if (rettup == NULL)
        elog(ERROR, "plperl: SPI_modifytuple() failed - RC = %d\n", SPI_result);

    ckfree(ret_values);
    memcpy(&Warn_restart, &save_restart, sizeof(Warn_restart));

    return rettup;
}

/**********************************************************************
 * plperl_elog()        - elog() support for PLTcl
 **********************************************************************/
static int
plperl_elog(ClientData cdata, Tcl_Interp *interp,
            int argc, char *argv[])
{
    int            level;
    sigjmp_buf    save_restart;

    /************************************************************
     * Suppress messages during the restart process
    if (plperl_restart_in_progress)
        return TCL_ERROR;

    /************************************************************
     * Catch the restart longjmp and begin a controlled
     * return though all interpreter levels if it happens
    memcpy(&save_restart, &Warn_restart, sizeof(save_restart));
    if (sigsetjmp(Warn_restart, 1) != 0)
    {
        memcpy(&Warn_restart, &save_restart, sizeof(Warn_restart));
        plperl_restart_in_progress = 1;
        return TCL_ERROR;
    }

    if (argc != 3)
    {
        Tcl_SetResult(interp, "syntax error - 'elog level msg'",
                      TCL_VOLATILE);
        return TCL_ERROR;
    }

    if (strcmp(argv[1], "NOTICE") == 0)
        level = NOTICE;
    else if (strcmp(argv[1], "WARN") == 0)
        level = ERROR;
    else if (strcmp(argv[1], "ERROR") == 0)
        level = ERROR;
    else if (strcmp(argv[1], "FATAL") == 0)
        level = FATAL;
    else if (strcmp(argv[1], "DEBUG") == 0)
        level = DEBUG;
    else if (strcmp(argv[1], "NOIND") == 0)
        level = NOIND;
    else
    {
        Tcl_AppendResult(interp, "Unknown elog level '", argv[1],
                         "'", NULL);
        memcpy(&Warn_restart, &save_restart, sizeof(Warn_restart));
        return TCL_ERROR;
    }

    /************************************************************
     * Call elog(), restore the original restart address
     * and return to the caller (if not catched)
    elog(level, argv[2]);
    memcpy(&Warn_restart, &save_restart, sizeof(Warn_restart));
    return TCL_OK;
}

/**********************************************************************
 * plperl_quote()    - quote literal strings that are to
 *              be used in SPI_exec query strings
 **********************************************************************/
static int
plperl_quote(ClientData cdata, Tcl_Interp *interp,
             int argc, char *argv[])
{
    char       *tmp;
    char       *cp1;
    char       *cp2;

    /************************************************************
     * Check call syntax
    if (argc != 2)
    {
        Tcl_SetResult(interp, "syntax error - 'quote string'", TCL_VOLATILE);
        return TCL_ERROR;
    }

    /************************************************************
     * Allocate space for the maximum the string can
     * grow to and initialize pointers
    tmp = palloc(strlen(argv[1]) * 2 + 1);
    cp1 = argv[1];
    cp2 = tmp;

    /************************************************************
     * Walk through string and double every quote and backslash
    while (*cp1)
    {
        if (*cp1 == '\'')
            *cp2++ = '\'';
        else
        {
            if (*cp1 == '\\')
                *cp2++ = '\\';
        }
        *cp2++ = *cp1++;
    }

    /************************************************************
     * Terminate the string and set it as result
    *cp2 = '\0';
    Tcl_SetResult(interp, tmp, TCL_VOLATILE);
    pfree(tmp);
    return TCL_OK;
}

/**********************************************************************
 * plperl_SPI_exec()        - The builtin SPI_exec command
 *                  for the safe interpreter
 **********************************************************************/
static int
plperl_SPI_exec(ClientData cdata, Tcl_Interp *interp,
                int argc, char *argv[])
{
    int            spi_rc;
    char        buf[64];
    int            count = 0;
    char       *arrayname = NULL;
    int            query_idx;
    int            i;
    int            loop_rc;
    int            ntuples;
    HeapTuple  *tuples;
    TupleDesc    tupdesc = NULL;
    sigjmp_buf    save_restart;

    char       *usage = "syntax error - 'SPI_exec "
    "?-count n? "
    "?-array name? query ?loop body?";

    /************************************************************
     * Don't do anything if we are already in restart mode
    if (plperl_restart_in_progress)
        return TCL_ERROR;

    /************************************************************
     * Check the call syntax and get the count option
    if (argc < 2)
    {
        Tcl_SetResult(interp, usage, TCL_VOLATILE);
        return TCL_ERROR;
    }

    i = 1;
    while (i < argc)
    {
        if (strcmp(argv[i], "-array") == 0)
        {
            if (++i >= argc)
            {
                Tcl_SetResult(interp, usage, TCL_VOLATILE);
                return TCL_ERROR;
            }
            arrayname = argv[i++];
            continue;
        }

        if (strcmp(argv[i], "-count") == 0)
        {
            if (++i >= argc)
            {
                Tcl_SetResult(interp, usage, TCL_VOLATILE);
                return TCL_ERROR;
            }
            if (Tcl_GetInt(interp, argv[i++], &count) != TCL_OK)
                return TCL_ERROR;
            continue;
        }

        break;
    }

    query_idx = i;
    if (query_idx >= argc)
    {
        Tcl_SetResult(interp, usage, TCL_VOLATILE);
        return TCL_ERROR;
    }

    /************************************************************
     * Prepare to start a controlled return through all
     * interpreter levels on transaction abort
    memcpy(&save_restart, &Warn_restart, sizeof(save_restart));
    if (sigsetjmp(Warn_restart, 1) != 0)
    {
        memcpy(&Warn_restart, &save_restart, sizeof(Warn_restart));
        plperl_restart_in_progress = 1;
        Tcl_SetResult(interp, "Transaction abort", TCL_VOLATILE);
        return TCL_ERROR;
    }

    /************************************************************
     * Execute the query and handle return codes
    spi_rc = SPI_exec(argv[query_idx], count);
    memcpy(&Warn_restart, &save_restart, sizeof(Warn_restart));

    switch (spi_rc)
    {
        case SPI_OK_UTILITY:
            Tcl_SetResult(interp, "0", TCL_VOLATILE);
            return TCL_OK;

        case SPI_OK_SELINTO:
        case SPI_OK_INSERT:
        case SPI_OK_DELETE:
        case SPI_OK_UPDATE:
            sprintf(buf, "%d", SPI_processed);
            Tcl_SetResult(interp, buf, TCL_VOLATILE);
            return TCL_OK;

        case SPI_OK_SELECT:
            break;

        case SPI_ERROR_ARGUMENT:
            Tcl_SetResult(interp,
                        "plperl: SPI_exec() failed - SPI_ERROR_ARGUMENT",
                          TCL_VOLATILE);
            return TCL_ERROR;

        case SPI_ERROR_UNCONNECTED:
            Tcl_SetResult(interp,
                     "plperl: SPI_exec() failed - SPI_ERROR_UNCONNECTED",
                          TCL_VOLATILE);
            return TCL_ERROR;

        case SPI_ERROR_COPY:
            Tcl_SetResult(interp,
                          "plperl: SPI_exec() failed - SPI_ERROR_COPY",
                          TCL_VOLATILE);
            return TCL_ERROR;

        case SPI_ERROR_CURSOR:
            Tcl_SetResult(interp,
                          "plperl: SPI_exec() failed - SPI_ERROR_CURSOR",
                          TCL_VOLATILE);
            return TCL_ERROR;

        case SPI_ERROR_TRANSACTION:
            Tcl_SetResult(interp,
                     "plperl: SPI_exec() failed - SPI_ERROR_TRANSACTION",
                          TCL_VOLATILE);
            return TCL_ERROR;

        case SPI_ERROR_OPUNKNOWN:
            Tcl_SetResult(interp,
                       "plperl: SPI_exec() failed - SPI_ERROR_OPUNKNOWN",
                          TCL_VOLATILE);
            return TCL_ERROR;

        default:
            sprintf(buf, "%d", spi_rc);
            Tcl_AppendResult(interp, "plperl: SPI_exec() failed - ",
                             "unknown RC ", buf, NULL);
            return TCL_ERROR;
    }

    /************************************************************
     * Only SELECT queries fall through to here - remember the
     * tuples we got

    ntuples = SPI_processed;
    if (ntuples > 0)
    {
        tuples = SPI_tuptable->vals;
        tupdesc = SPI_tuptable->tupdesc;
    }

    /************************************************************
     * Again prepare for elog(ERROR)
    if (sigsetjmp(Warn_restart, 1) != 0)
    {
        memcpy(&Warn_restart, &save_restart, sizeof(Warn_restart));
        plperl_restart_in_progress = 1;
        Tcl_SetResult(interp, "Transaction abort", TCL_VOLATILE);
        return TCL_ERROR;
    }

    /************************************************************
     * If there is no loop body given, just set the variables
     * from the first tuple (if any) and return the number of
     * tuples selected
    if (argc == query_idx + 1)
    {
        if (ntuples > 0)
            plperl_set_tuple_values(interp, arrayname, 0, tuples[0], tupdesc);
        sprintf(buf, "%d", ntuples);
        Tcl_SetResult(interp, buf, TCL_VOLATILE);
        memcpy(&Warn_restart, &save_restart, sizeof(Warn_restart));
        return TCL_OK;
    }

    /************************************************************
     * There is a loop body - process all tuples and evaluate
     * the body on each
    query_idx++;
    for (i = 0; i < ntuples; i++)
    {
        plperl_set_tuple_values(interp, arrayname, i, tuples[i], tupdesc);

        loop_rc = Tcl_Eval(interp, argv[query_idx]);

        if (loop_rc == TCL_OK)
            continue;
        if (loop_rc == TCL_CONTINUE)
            continue;
        if (loop_rc == TCL_RETURN)
        {
            memcpy(&Warn_restart, &save_restart, sizeof(Warn_restart));
            return TCL_RETURN;
        }
        if (loop_rc == TCL_BREAK)
            break;
        memcpy(&Warn_restart, &save_restart, sizeof(Warn_restart));
        return TCL_ERROR;
    }

    /************************************************************
     * Finally return the number of tuples
    memcpy(&Warn_restart, &save_restart, sizeof(Warn_restart));
    sprintf(buf, "%d", ntuples);
    Tcl_SetResult(interp, buf, TCL_VOLATILE);
    return TCL_OK;
}

/**********************************************************************
 * plperl_SPI_prepare()        - Builtin support for prepared plans
 *                  The Tcl command SPI_prepare
 *                  allways saves the plan using
 *                  SPI_saveplan and returns a key for
 *                  access. There is no chance to prepare
 *                  and not save the plan currently.
 **********************************************************************/
static int
plperl_SPI_prepare(ClientData cdata, Tcl_Interp *interp,
                   int argc, char *argv[])
{
    int            nargs;
    char      **args;
    plperl_query_desc *qdesc;
    void       *plan;
    int            i;
    HeapTuple    typeTup;
    Tcl_HashEntry *hashent;
    int            hashnew;
    sigjmp_buf    save_restart;

    /************************************************************
     * Don't do anything if we are already in restart mode
    if (plperl_restart_in_progress)
        return TCL_ERROR;

    /************************************************************
     * Check the call syntax
    if (argc != 3)
    {
        Tcl_SetResult(interp, "syntax error - 'SPI_prepare query argtypes'",
                      TCL_VOLATILE);
        return TCL_ERROR;
    }

    /************************************************************
     * Split the argument type list
    if (Tcl_SplitList(interp, argv[2], &nargs, &args) != TCL_OK)
        return TCL_ERROR;

    /************************************************************
     * Allocate the new querydesc structure
    qdesc = (plperl_query_desc *) malloc(sizeof(plperl_query_desc));
    sprintf(qdesc->qname, "%lx", (long) qdesc);
    qdesc->nargs = nargs;
    qdesc->argtypes = (Oid *) malloc(nargs * sizeof(Oid));
    qdesc->arginfuncs = (FmgrInfo *) malloc(nargs * sizeof(FmgrInfo));
    qdesc->argtypelems = (Oid *) malloc(nargs * sizeof(Oid));
    qdesc->argvalues = (Datum *) malloc(nargs * sizeof(Datum));
    qdesc->arglen = (int *) malloc(nargs * sizeof(int));

    /************************************************************
     * Prepare to start a controlled return through all
     * interpreter levels on transaction abort
    memcpy(&save_restart, &Warn_restart, sizeof(save_restart));
    if (sigsetjmp(Warn_restart, 1) != 0)
    {
        memcpy(&Warn_restart, &save_restart, sizeof(Warn_restart));
        plperl_restart_in_progress = 1;
        free(qdesc->argtypes);
        free(qdesc->arginfuncs);
        free(qdesc->argtypelems);
        free(qdesc->argvalues);
        free(qdesc->arglen);
        free(qdesc);
        ckfree(args);
        return TCL_ERROR;
    }

    /************************************************************
     * Lookup the argument types by name in the system cache
     * and remember the required information for input conversion
    for (i = 0; i < nargs; i++)
    {
        typeTup = SearchSysCacheTuple(TYPNAME,
                                      PointerGetDatum(args[i]),
                                      0, 0, 0);
        if (!HeapTupleIsValid(typeTup))
            elog(ERROR, "plperl: Cache lookup of type %s failed", args[i]);
        qdesc->argtypes[i] = typeTup->t_data->t_oid;
        fmgr_info(((Form_pg_type) GETSTRUCT(typeTup))->typinput,
                  &(qdesc->arginfuncs[i]));
        qdesc->argtypelems[i] = ((Form_pg_type) GETSTRUCT(typeTup))->typelem;
        qdesc->argvalues[i] = (Datum) NULL;
        qdesc->arglen[i] = (int) (((Form_pg_type) GETSTRUCT(typeTup))->typlen);
    }

    /************************************************************
     * Prepare the plan and check for errors
    plan = SPI_prepare(argv[1], nargs, qdesc->argtypes);

    if (plan == NULL)
    {
        char        buf[128];
        char       *reason;

        memcpy(&Warn_restart, &save_restart, sizeof(Warn_restart));

        switch (SPI_result)
        {
            case SPI_ERROR_ARGUMENT:
                reason = "SPI_ERROR_ARGUMENT";
                break;

            case SPI_ERROR_UNCONNECTED:
                reason = "SPI_ERROR_UNCONNECTED";
                break;

            case SPI_ERROR_COPY:
                reason = "SPI_ERROR_COPY";
                break;

            case SPI_ERROR_CURSOR:
                reason = "SPI_ERROR_CURSOR";
                break;

            case SPI_ERROR_TRANSACTION:
                reason = "SPI_ERROR_TRANSACTION";
                break;

            case SPI_ERROR_OPUNKNOWN:
                reason = "SPI_ERROR_OPUNKNOWN";
                break;

            default:
                sprintf(buf, "unknown RC %d", SPI_result);
                reason = buf;
                break;

        }

        elog(ERROR, "plperl: SPI_prepare() failed - %s", reason);
    }

    /************************************************************
     * Save the plan
    qdesc->plan = SPI_saveplan(plan);
    if (qdesc->plan == NULL)
    {
        char        buf[128];
        char       *reason;

        memcpy(&Warn_restart, &save_restart, sizeof(Warn_restart));

        switch (SPI_result)
        {
            case SPI_ERROR_ARGUMENT:
                reason = "SPI_ERROR_ARGUMENT";
                break;

            case SPI_ERROR_UNCONNECTED:
                reason = "SPI_ERROR_UNCONNECTED";
                break;

            default:
                sprintf(buf, "unknown RC %d", SPI_result);
                reason = buf;
                break;

        }

        elog(ERROR, "plperl: SPI_saveplan() failed - %s", reason);
    }

    /************************************************************
     * Insert a hashtable entry for the plan and return
     * the key to the caller
    memcpy(&Warn_restart, &save_restart, sizeof(Warn_restart));
    hashent = Tcl_CreateHashEntry(plperl_query_hash, qdesc->qname, &hashnew);
    Tcl_SetHashValue(hashent, (ClientData) qdesc);

    Tcl_SetResult(interp, qdesc->qname, TCL_VOLATILE);
    return TCL_OK;
}

/**********************************************************************
 * plperl_SPI_execp()        - Execute a prepared plan
 **********************************************************************/
static int
plperl_SPI_execp(ClientData cdata, Tcl_Interp *interp,
                 int argc, char *argv[])
{
    int            spi_rc;
    char        buf[64];
    int            i,
                j;
    int            loop_body;
    Tcl_HashEntry *hashent;
    plperl_query_desc *qdesc;
    char       *nulls = NULL;
    char       *arrayname = NULL;
    int            count = 0;
    int            callnargs;
    static char **callargs = NULL;
    int            loop_rc;
    int            ntuples;
    HeapTuple  *tuples = NULL;
    TupleDesc    tupdesc = NULL;
    sigjmp_buf    save_restart;

    char       *usage = "syntax error - 'SPI_execp "
    "?-nulls string? ?-count n? "
    "?-array name? query ?args? ?loop body?";

    /************************************************************
     * Tidy up from an earlier abort
    if (callargs != NULL)
    {
        ckfree(callargs);
        callargs = NULL;
    }

    /************************************************************
     * Don't do anything if we are already in restart mode
    if (plperl_restart_in_progress)
        return TCL_ERROR;

    /************************************************************
     * Get the options and check syntax
    i = 1;
    while (i < argc)
    {
        if (strcmp(argv[i], "-array") == 0)
        {
            if (++i >= argc)
            {
                Tcl_SetResult(interp, usage, TCL_VOLATILE);
                return TCL_ERROR;
            }
            arrayname = argv[i++];
            continue;
        }
        if (strcmp(argv[i], "-nulls") == 0)
        {
            if (++i >= argc)
            {
                Tcl_SetResult(interp, usage, TCL_VOLATILE);
                return TCL_ERROR;
            }
            nulls = argv[i++];
            continue;
        }
        if (strcmp(argv[i], "-count") == 0)
        {
            if (++i >= argc)
            {
                Tcl_SetResult(interp, usage, TCL_VOLATILE);
                return TCL_ERROR;
            }
            if (Tcl_GetInt(interp, argv[i++], &count) != TCL_OK)
                return TCL_ERROR;
            continue;
        }

        break;
    }

    /************************************************************
     * Check minimum call arguments
    if (i >= argc)
    {
        Tcl_SetResult(interp, usage, TCL_VOLATILE);
        return TCL_ERROR;
    }

    /************************************************************
     * Get the prepared plan descriptor by it's key
    hashent = Tcl_FindHashEntry(plperl_query_hash, argv[i++]);
    if (hashent == NULL)
    {
        Tcl_AppendResult(interp, "invalid queryid '", argv[--i], "'", NULL);
        return TCL_ERROR;
    }
    qdesc = (plperl_query_desc *) Tcl_GetHashValue(hashent);

    /************************************************************
     * If a nulls string is given, check for correct length
    if (nulls != NULL)
    {
        if (strlen(nulls) != qdesc->nargs)
        {
            Tcl_SetResult(interp,
                   "length of nulls string doesn't match # of arguments",
                          TCL_VOLATILE);
            return TCL_ERROR;
        }
    }

    /************************************************************
     * If there was a argtype list on preparation, we need
     * an argument value list now
    if (qdesc->nargs > 0)
    {
        if (i >= argc)
        {
            Tcl_SetResult(interp, "missing argument list", TCL_VOLATILE);
            return TCL_ERROR;
        }

        /************************************************************
         * Split the argument values
        if (Tcl_SplitList(interp, argv[i++], &callnargs, &callargs) != TCL_OK)
            return TCL_ERROR;

        /************************************************************
         * Check that the # of arguments matches
        if (callnargs != qdesc->nargs)
        {
            Tcl_SetResult(interp,
            "argument list length doesn't match # of arguments for query",
                          TCL_VOLATILE);
            if (callargs != NULL)
            {
                ckfree(callargs);
                callargs = NULL;
            }
            return TCL_ERROR;
        }

        /************************************************************
         * Prepare to start a controlled return through all
         * interpreter levels on transaction abort during the
         * parse of the arguments
        memcpy(&save_restart, &Warn_restart, sizeof(save_restart));
        if (sigsetjmp(Warn_restart, 1) != 0)
        {
            memcpy(&Warn_restart, &save_restart, sizeof(Warn_restart));
            for (j = 0; j < callnargs; j++)
            {
                if (qdesc->arglen[j] < 0 &&
                    qdesc->argvalues[j] != (Datum) NULL)
                {
                    pfree((char *) (qdesc->argvalues[j]));
                    qdesc->argvalues[j] = (Datum) NULL;
                }
            }
            ckfree(callargs);
            callargs = NULL;
            plperl_restart_in_progress = 1;
            Tcl_SetResult(interp, "Transaction abort", TCL_VOLATILE);
            return TCL_ERROR;
        }

        /************************************************************
         * Setup the value array for the SPI_execp() using
         * the type specific input functions
        for (j = 0; j < callnargs; j++)
        {
            qdesc->argvalues[j] =
                FunctionCall3(&qdesc->arginfuncs[j],
                              CStringGetDatum(callargs[j]),
                              ObjectIdGetDatum(qdesc->argtypelems[j]),
                              Int32GetDatum(qdesc->arglen[j]));
        }

        /************************************************************
         * Free the splitted argument value list
        memcpy(&Warn_restart, &save_restart, sizeof(Warn_restart));
        ckfree(callargs);
        callargs = NULL;
    }
    else
        callnargs = 0;

    /************************************************************
     * Remember the index of the last processed call
     * argument - a loop body for SELECT might follow
    loop_body = i;

    /************************************************************
     * Prepare to start a controlled return through all
     * interpreter levels on transaction abort
    memcpy(&save_restart, &Warn_restart, sizeof(save_restart));
    if (sigsetjmp(Warn_restart, 1) != 0)
    {
        memcpy(&Warn_restart, &save_restart, sizeof(Warn_restart));
        for (j = 0; j < callnargs; j++)
        {
            if (qdesc->arglen[j] < 0 && qdesc->argvalues[j] != (Datum) NULL)
            {
                pfree((char *) (qdesc->argvalues[j]));
                qdesc->argvalues[j] = (Datum) NULL;
            }
        }
        plperl_restart_in_progress = 1;
        Tcl_SetResult(interp, "Transaction abort", TCL_VOLATILE);
        return TCL_ERROR;
    }

    /************************************************************
     * Execute the plan
    spi_rc = SPI_execp(qdesc->plan, qdesc->argvalues, nulls, count);
    memcpy(&Warn_restart, &save_restart, sizeof(Warn_restart));

    /************************************************************
     * For varlena data types, free the argument values
    for (j = 0; j < callnargs; j++)
    {
        if (qdesc->arglen[j] < 0 && qdesc->argvalues[j] != (Datum) NULL)
        {
            pfree((char *) (qdesc->argvalues[j]));
            qdesc->argvalues[j] = (Datum) NULL;
        }
    }

    /************************************************************
     * Check the return code from SPI_execp()
    switch (spi_rc)
    {
[...]

     * the ouput conversions of the results
    memcpy(&save_restart, &Warn_restart, sizeof(save_restart));
    if (sigsetjmp(Warn_restart, 1) != 0)
    {
        memcpy(&Warn_restart, &save_restart, sizeof(Warn_restart));
        plperl_restart_in_progress = 1;
        Tcl_SetResult(interp, "Transaction abort", TCL_VOLATILE);
        return TCL_ERROR;
    }

    /************************************************************
     * If there is no loop body given, just set the variables
     * from the first tuple (if any) and return the number of
     * tuples selected
    if (loop_body >= argc)
    {
        if (ntuples > 0)
            plperl_set_tuple_values(interp, arrayname, 0, tuples[0], tupdesc);
        memcpy(&Warn_restart, &save_restart, sizeof(Warn_restart));
        sprintf(buf, "%d", ntuples);
        Tcl_SetResult(interp, buf, TCL_VOLATILE);
        return TCL_OK;
    }

    /************************************************************
     * There is a loop body - process all tuples and evaluate
     * the body on each
    for (i = 0; i < ntuples; i++)
    {
        plperl_set_tuple_values(interp, arrayname, i, tuples[i], tupdesc);

        loop_rc = Tcl_Eval(interp, argv[loop_body]);

        if (loop_rc == TCL_OK)
            continue;
        if (loop_rc == TCL_CONTINUE)
            continue;
        if (loop_rc == TCL_RETURN)
        {
            memcpy(&Warn_restart, &save_restart, sizeof(Warn_restart));
            return TCL_RETURN;
        }
        if (loop_rc == TCL_BREAK)
            break;
        memcpy(&Warn_restart, &save_restart, sizeof(Warn_restart));
        return TCL_ERROR;
    }

    /************************************************************
     * Finally return the number of tuples
    memcpy(&Warn_restart, &save_restart, sizeof(Warn_restart));
    sprintf(buf, "%d", ntuples);
    Tcl_SetResult(interp, buf, TCL_VOLATILE);
    return TCL_OK;
}

/**********************************************************************
 * plperl_set_tuple_values() - Set variables for all attributes
 *                  of a given tuple
 **********************************************************************/
static void
plperl_set_tuple_values(Tcl_Interp *interp, char *arrayname,
                        int tupno, HeapTuple tuple, TupleDesc tupdesc)
{
    int            i;
    char       *outputstr;
    char        buf[64];
    Datum        attr;
    bool        isnull;

    char       *attname;
    HeapTuple    typeTup;
    Oid            typoutput;
    Oid            typelem;

    char      **arrptr;
    char      **nameptr;
    char       *nullname = NULL;

    /************************************************************
     * Prepare pointers for Tcl_SetVar2() below and in array
     * mode set the .tupno element
    if (arrayname == NULL)
    {
        arrptr = &attname;
        nameptr = &nullname;
    }
    else
    {
        arrptr = &arrayname;
        nameptr = &attname;
        sprintf(buf, "%d", tupno);
        Tcl_SetVar2(interp, arrayname, ".tupno", buf, 0);
    }

    for (i = 0; i < tupdesc->natts; i++)
    {
        /************************************************************
         * Get the attribute name
        attname = tupdesc->attrs[i]->attname.data;

        /************************************************************
         * Get the attributes value
        attr = heap_getattr(tuple, i + 1, tupdesc, &isnull);

        /************************************************************
         * Lookup the attribute type in the syscache
         * for the output function
        typeTup = SearchSysCacheTuple(TYPEOID,
                           ObjectIdGetDatum(tupdesc->attrs[i]->atttypid),
                                      0, 0, 0);
        if (!HeapTupleIsValid(typeTup))
        {
            elog(ERROR, "plperl: Cache lookup for attribute '%s' type %u failed",
                 attname, tupdesc->attrs[i]->atttypid);
        }

        typoutput = (Oid) (((Form_pg_type) GETSTRUCT(typeTup))->typoutput);
        typelem = (Oid) (((Form_pg_type) GETSTRUCT(typeTup))->typelem);

        /************************************************************
         * If there is a value, set the variable
         * If not, unset it
         *
         * Hmmm - Null attributes will cause functions to
         *          crash if they don't expect them - need something
         *          smarter here.
        if (!isnull && OidIsValid(typoutput))
        {
            outputstr = DatumGetCString(OidFunctionCall3(typoutput,
                                        attr,
                                        ObjectIdGetDatum(typelem),
                                        Int32GetDatum(tupdesc->attrs[i]->attlen)));
            Tcl_SetVar2(interp, *arrptr, *nameptr, outputstr, 0);
            pfree(outputstr);
        }
        else
            Tcl_UnsetVar2(interp, *arrptr, *nameptr, 0);
    }
}

#endif
/**********************************************************************
 * plperl_build_tuple_argument() - Build a string for a ref to a hash
 *                  from all attributes of a given tuple
 **********************************************************************/
static SV  *
plperl_build_tuple_argument(HeapTuple tuple, TupleDesc tupdesc)
{
    int            i;
    SV           *output;
    Datum        attr;
    bool        isnull;

    char       *attname;
    char       *outputstr;
    HeapTuple    typeTup;
    Oid            typoutput;
    Oid            typelem;

    output = sv_2mortal(newSVpv("{", 0));

    for (i = 0; i < tupdesc->natts; i++)
    {
        /************************************************************
[...]

         * If there is a value, append the attribute name and the
         * value to the list.
         *    If it is null it will be set to undef.
        if (!isnull && OidIsValid(typoutput))
        {
            outputstr = DatumGetCString(OidFunctionCall3(typoutput,
                                        attr,
                                        ObjectIdGetDatum(typelem),
                                        Int32GetDatum(tupdesc->attrs[i]->attlen)));
            sv_catpvf(output, "'%s' => '%s',", attname, outputstr);
            pfree(outputstr);
        }
        else
            sv_catpvf(output, "'%s' => undef,", attname);
    }
    sv_catpv(output, "}");
    output = perl_eval_pv(SvPV_nolen(output), TRUE);
    return output;
}