Re: Backup/dump of huge tables and performance

От brianb-pggeneral@edsamail.com
Тема Re: Backup/dump of huge tables and performance
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi Philip,

Philip Warner writes:
> At 02:26 28/07/00 GMT, brianb-pggeneral@edsamail.com wrote:
> >1. pg_dump or COPY take up a lot of I/O resources. That's not surprising
> >considering the size of the tables, but the impact on the overall
> >production system's performance is not acceptable.
>
> Firstly, you are not using '--inserts', I hope. It is very slow for both
> backup & restore. Also, do you know if pg_dump is the IO bottleneck, or the
> backend?

Nope, I don't use --inserts. The bottleneck seems to be at the backend,
since it also happens with COPY.

> Other than that, I'm not sure what can be done about it - the I/O has to be
> done some time. Possibly causing pg_dump to (optionally) pause between
> records, but that seems like a bad idea, especially with 10s of millions of
> records.

> You could always do a file-based backup of the database, and restore it
> somewhere else, and drop the tables you don't need. Not very elegant, I
> realize.

What file-based backup are you referring to? From reading previous posts,
I'd inferred that I couldn't just copy my /var/lib/pgsql over to another
server with Postgres and start postmaster.

> >Any better ideas? Would this be a good feature to incorporate into future
> >versions of pg_dump?
>
> I'm not sure what should be changed in pg_dump; delaying between records
> seems like a bad idea since it does the dump in a single TX, and besides,
> sleeping while a TX is open seems evil to me.

I suppose it's a special case, then. I just need to move the table, and I'd
rather have the I/O load spread over a longer period of time to soften the
impact on the rest of the system.

> I think making multiple files can be done by 'split', so the real issue is
> where the IO problem comes from, and how to reduce it. If pg_dump is the
> source of the I/O, then I can try to address it, but if the COPY command is
> the problem, that needs to be done by someone else...

And thanks for suggesting "split". I had forgotten it existed and was about
to write it from scratch.

Brian
--
Brian Baquiran <brianb@edsamail.com>
http://www.baquiran.com/  AIM: bbaquiran

I'm smarter than average. Therefore, average, to me, seems kind of stupid.
People weren't purposely being stupid. It just came naturally.
                              -- Bruce "Tog" Toganazzini