Re:

От Jim Mercer
Тема Re:
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 12:18:23PM -0400, Mehta, Ashok wrote:
> I am running postgres on RedHat Linux It was running fine and our sysadmin
> added a scsi tape device to the kernel and rebooted the machine so the
> postmaster was killed with -9 signal and after that when I start postmaster

did the sysadmin kill postmaster with -9 or reboot, or both.

reboot does not normally kill things off with a -9, depending on the system
it uses a progression of other nicer signals.

killing postmaster with -9 is bad, as it doesn't give the process any chance
to do shutdown/cleanup functions, which might include clearing the socket in
/tmp.

this might also explain why you got the error after kill -9/reboot, but didn't
get it after a normal reboot.

if your sysadmin is going around using "kill -9" as a standard shutdown method,
well, you might want to speak to them about this, as it isn't really a nice
way to deal with things.

--
[ Jim Mercer                 jim@reptiles.org              +1 416 410-5633 ]
[          Reptilian Research -- Longer Life through Colder Blood          ]