Re: Slashdot discussion

От selkovjr@mcs.anl.gov
Тема Re: Slashdot discussion
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> > Bruce Momjian writes:
> >
> > > OK, thanks to the www.phpbuilder.com PostgreSQL/MySQL comparison, there
> > > is another PostgreSQL/MySQL thread on shashdot.org.  Looks interesting,
> > > and of course, we are looking good too.
> >
> > Is anyone else noticing this: Everytime this sort of thing comes up a
> > number of people invariably tell that they are using MySQL because it's
> > easier to install, and that PostgreSQL is difficult ("a pain") to install.
> >
> > I've studied the MySQL installation instructions, and they don't strike me
> > as inherently simpler. Is it only perception, or what can we do better?
>
> I am confused by this also.

Most of us tend to think of the development of the human species as if
the natural evolution was still a factor. It isn't anymore -- not so
much as it used to be. Back in the 19th century, what where the
chances of survival for a child born with a three-chamber heart? What
are these now?

Because of the ever diminishing evolutionary pressure, we become ever
more different and the concept of "bad" becomes murky. What once was
deadly is just abnormal today, and may even be OK tomorrow. How could
such an increasing variety pass unnoticed in the world of software,
which, like other tools in general, is arguably an extension of one's
organism?

I recall the days just about 20 years back, when Bill first emerged
with his BASIC. Who in their sane mind would then bet on its
survival, let alone see any commercial value in it? Even today, I know
lots of people who believe that Bill's BASIC was and is the best
software available to them. Who cares whether it works or not? It's
good. Period.

Bottom line -- we will eventually come to peace with the following
ugly facts:

* Bad things survive
* Useless things flourish
* The perception of the difficulty and simplicity is random
* The presence of features may repel users as much as the lack thereof
* A fairly large population *prefers* to do things in the hard way
* Free market is not automatically a smart one (look at the destiny
  of the Dvorak keyboard or how they harass the GM food manufacturers).

Sad as all this is, we are going to leave with it. But you folks are
doing a great job!

--Gene