Re: Another mySQL to PostgreSQL move question

От Giulio Orsero
Тема Re: Another mySQL to PostgreSQL move question
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, 10 Jul 2000 13:55:24 -0500, you wrote:

>>         Does PostgreSQL support something like mySQL's auto_increment tag?
>See question 4.16.1 of
>    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq-english.html

I've never used MySQL, and I'm new to PostgreSQL, can you explain me
what does the following mean?

[ From the PHPBuilder MySQl/PostgreSQL report:
http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/tim20000705.php3 ]

".. MySQL is "smart" enough to increment its auto_increment value when
you import data, whereas Postgres' sequence does not get reset when you
import data, causing all new inserts to fail..."

Does it refer to when you import data with COPY (MySQL's LOAD DATA)?
What actually happens to the sequence when you use COPY?

Thanks.

--
giulioo@pobox.com