Re: update on TOAST status'

От JanWieck@t-online.de (Jan Wieck)
Тема Re: update on TOAST status'
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >     -   VACUUM  doesn't  propagate  ANALYZE  to   TOAST   tables.
> >         Statistics for them are needless because the toast access
> >         is allways hardcoded indexed.
>
> I don't think statistics are insignificant for TOASTed columns.  If I
> say col=3, the optimizer uses that information for estimating the number
> of rows returned, and figuring out the type of join and order of join to
> perform, not just for "use index, don't use index" decisions.
   Ask  your  boys  to give you a training session for "reading"   when they go to bed tonight - and greet them from
the"police   officer" :-)

   I said "to TOAST tables", not "TOASTed columns".
   Their   master  tables  will  allways  have  the  statistics,   including those for toasted columns, if you ask for
them via   ANALYZE.

   In  normal  operation, noone would ever know if a TOAST table   is accessed during his  query  -  not  even  the
planner or   optimmizer.   It's  totally  transparent  and  the  only  one   accessing the TOAST tables is the toaster
himself -  and  he   knows what he does.

Jan

От: Peter Eisentraut
Сообщение: DateStyle (was Re: Per-database/schema settings)
От: JanWieck@t-online.de (Jan Wieck)
Сообщение: Re: [SQL] Re: [GENERAL] lztext and compression ratios...