Re: responses to licensing discussion

От John Daniels
Тема Re: responses to licensing discussion
Дата
Список pgsql-general

>But, I am also firmly of the opinion that if the BSD license "as is"
>was such a big problem legal, projects like the *BSDs would have long
>changed theirs ... the FreeBSD folks have their own 'retained legal
>counsel' that they've been workign with through the whole
>cryptography debate, so I don't think that they would have overlooked
>this if it was a problem ...
>
>Personally, I'd like the whole thing weeded down to ... get rid of
>the 'juristiction of ...' (which nobody outside of the US will agree
>to, from what I've been seeing on the list) ... and get rid of "Any
>person who contributes ..." paragraph, which several ppl have voiced
>a concern about, and we might have something that non-US developers
>can agree to ...

Why not check with some FreeBSD people to get their opinion in any case.
Can't hurt, and it might add quite a bit to an understanding of what
should/shouldn't be changed.  This is especially true since FreeBSD-BSDI
relationship seems to be so similar to the Postgresql-GreatBridge
relationship.

If the BSD license is faulty, BSD license users should fix it once and as a
group, not piecemeal.

>can someone also explain to me what ", NEED, OR QUALITY, AND ANY
>IMPLIED WARRANTY FROM COURSE OF DEALING OR USAGE OF TRADE. IN
>ADDITION, THERE IS NO IMPLIED WARRANTY AGAINST INTERFERENCE WITH
>ENJOYMENT OR AGAINST INFRINGEMENT." is supposed to mean?  what the
>hell is "INTERFERENCE WITH ENJOYMENT OR AGAINST INFRINGEMENT"?

I am not an attorney, but I think that COURSE OF DEALING AND USAGE OF TRADE
refers to affected transactions or potential transactions in e-commerce-like
trade, and that INTERFERENCE WITH ENJOYMENT is for the hackers and hobbyists
who love to toy with Postgresql and might be deprived of that enjoyment for
whatever reason, and that INFRINGEMENT refers to the user's liability for
using code that infringes on patents or copyrights.

John