Re: libpq & freeing character results

От tomas@mamma.varadinet.de
Тема Re: libpq & freeing character results
Дата
Список pgsql-interfaces
On Tue, Jun 27, 2000 at 12:06:44PM -0700, Robert A. Knop Jr. wrote:
> If one uses libpq functions such as PQfname, should one free the returned
> character string?

[...]
> This is explicitly answered in the documentation for PQgetvalue (it's a
> pointer into the PGresult data), so I'm assuming thatt he same applies for
> PQfname.  Please let me know if this is a foolish assumption.

It does correspond to the general style of the interface -- and peeking
into the implementation...

invalid    */     char *     PQfname(PGresult *res, int field_num)     {             if (!check_field_number("PQfname",
res,field_num))                     return NULL;             if (res->attDescs)                     return
res->attDescs[field_num].name;            else                     return NULL;     }

(from src/interfaces/libpq/fe-exec.c; it's version 6.5.3, but I don't
think it has changed) confirms the conjecture.

Regards
--
tomas