Re: Big 7.1 open items

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Big 7.1 open items
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> FWIW, count me here.  I have tried administering my system using the
> filenames -- and have been bitten.  Better admin tools in the PostgreSQL
> package beat using standard filesystem tools -- the PostgreSQL tools can
> be WAL-aware, transaction-aware, and can provide consistent results.
> Filesystem tools never will be able to provide consistent results for a
> database system that must remain up 24x7, as many if not most PostgreSQL
> installations must.
>
> > OID+relname filenames: Bruce
>
> Sorry Bruce -- I understand and am sympathetic to your position, and, at
> one time, I agreed with it.  But not any more.

I thought the most recent proposal was to just throw ~16 chars of the
file name on the end of the file name, and that should not be used for
anything except visibility.  WAL would not need to store that.  It could
just grab the file name that matches the oid/sequence number.

If people don't want table names in the file name, I totally understand,
and we can move on without them.  I have made the best case I can for
their inclusion, but if people are not convinced, then maybe I was
wrong.

Pennsylvania19026