Re: freefuncs.c is never called from anywhere!?]

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: freefuncs.c is never called from anywhere!?]
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> > I am thinking of going through the code and removing NOT_USED functions
> > I know to be useless.  OK?
>
> Don't see why not, though I'd recommend treading lightly.  That unused-
> functions script tends to pull out stuff that has been exported in the
> expectation that someone would want it someday, but for one reason or
> another it's not being called right at the moment.  We don't really want
> to delete that sort of code.
>
> BTW, I've also been rather dubious about the automatic
> demote-to-static-function script for the same reason --- when someone
> comes along and needs function X, it's hard to tell whether X was
> intended to be private or was intended to be public but got demoted by
> the script.  It's tough to maintain clear module APIs with tools like
> that second-guessing the author's intentions.

Well, I put a comment on one's that have to be exported, and others come
up as referenced in the regression tests.

The only one I know about is:
GetAttributeByNameGetAttributeByNum

and some debug functions.  The above two are the only ones that I marked
as static at one time that I later had to export.

The other advantage of static is that if a static function is not called
in the file, the compiler throws a warning and I can then mark it as
NOT_USED.

Pennsylvania19026