Use of system indexes

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Use of system indexes
Дата
Re: Use of system indexes  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
I am looking at how the system indexes are used.

In the past, I went through and changed all system table lookups that
return a single value into system cache lookups.

I now see several cases where we are doing heap scans of system tables,
rather than using indexes.  There are cases that can return several
rows, so we can't use the cache.  However, we could use index scans
rather than heap scans.

An interesting case is the pg_listener index in commands/async.c.  Our
pid/relname, I can add index scans based in pid to prevent the many heap
scans in the file.  I am sure there are other places that can be
improved.

I can start fixing them, but as I remember, someone was thinking of
making heap/index scans use the same interface.  Can I get a status on
that?

Pennsylvania19026