Re: Performance

От Webb Sprague
Тема Re: Performance
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
I was working with \copy recently, and one of the
problems with it is that it won't make the defaults
happen, including serial for primary key (I think).  I
wrote an "awk" script that takes a '|' delimited file
with the name of the table fields in the top row & the
data to insert in the other rows, and turns it into a
series of INSERTS.  If you want it, email me (I am on
the DOS part of a dual boot machine, so I can't get it
right now).

http://www.postgresql.org/mhonarc/pgsql-general/1999-11/msg00127.html

http://www.postgresql.org/mhonarc/pgsql-general/1999-12/msg00476.html

> > and is it considered safe? ( I`m running Linux)
>
> as long as you don't crash or lose power. :-)
>
> > How does PostgreSQL compare in terms of speed
> compared to other databases,
> > commercial products included??
>
> It's slower than MySQL on simple tables, but that's
> because you can do
> much more complex tables.
>
> > I need to insert about 2000-10000 records into a
> database. I`m using Python
> > to do this. Is there a way to use some form of
> bulk copy that will do this
> > faster than plain-old insert for each and every
> record?
>
> On an extremely fast system, with Fsync off, this
> should take less than
> 30 seconds. On slower systems, or with fsync on,
> your performance will
> degrade greatly. I've seen 468 machines running at 2
> inserts a second...
>
> Aside from that backend speed, you might try
> converting the text data
> you have into SQL _first_, and then feeding that in
> as a file. If you
> are reading a line, parsing, inserting, reading the
> next line, parsing,
> inserting... well, you get the picture. That loop
> will cost you.
>
> -Ronabop
>
> --

--2D426F70|759328624|00101101010000100110111101110000