Re: Postgresql usage clip.

От JanWieck@t-online.de (Jan Wieck)
Тема Re: Postgresql usage clip.
Дата
Список pgsql-general
John Steele wrote:
>   IMO, having a 'toy' server during development on a win9x platform would be really nice.  Coming from a MySQL/PHP
background,it sure is nice to take the laptop out on a nice day and be able to develop 'real' applications that are
thenmoved to a real server platform.

    What  kind  of LAPTOP do you mean? Wouldn't a slightly bigger
    disk let you install NT or Win2K as alternate boot to have at
    least something worth installing development tools at all?

>   I just tried the latest NT port binaries, hoping that I could at least start up the server process.  Even an
extremelylimited server on this platform would be welcome.  Sometimes you don't get to choose your development OS :(

    If  a piece doesn't fit, don't force it, use a bigger hammer.

    Postgres needs some functionality from the  OS.  Seems  Win9x
    doesn't   provide   all   that,   but   mucking  around  with
    requirements of Postgres is the wrong  way  here.  Especially
    since  Win9x  was already dead when born, only that Microsoft
    keeps it in some  zombie  state  until  they  have  something
    better.   Seems  Win2K  is - so I think it's wasted efford to
    hack Win9x support into Postgres.

Jan

От: JanWieck@t-online.de (Jan Wieck)
Сообщение: Re: lots of large objects and toast
От: "carl garland"
Сообщение: Re: Speed of locating tables