Re: Speed of locating tables?

От Matthias Urlichs
Тема Re: Speed of locating tables?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

Steve Wampler:
> So, to refine the question - given a DB with (say) 100,000
> tables, how quickly can PG access a table given its name?

You will then have a directory with one hundred thousand entries (plus
one for each index you decide to create). This will slow down your
system like hell.

> Thanks!  I'm also open to suggestions on other ways to
> represent the data that would provide better access
> performance -

Easy. Every table gets another column "telescope_ID", and you create
a new table which maps from the csope's ID to their name and vice versa.

> you can probably tell I'm new to the world of databases.

You definitely want to read an introductory book / online article about
the subject.

--
Matthias Urlichs  |  noris network GmbH   |   smurf@noris.de  |  ICQ: 20193661
The quote was selected randomly. Really.       |        http://smurf.noris.de/

От: Steve Wampler
Сообщение: Speed of locating tables?
От: Bruce Momjian
Сообщение: Re: PG 7.0 is 2.5 times slower running a big report