Re: PG 7.0 is 2.5 times slower running a big report

От Matthias Urlichs
Тема Re: PG 7.0 is 2.5 times slower running a big report
Дата
Re: PG 7.0 is 2.5 times slower running a big report  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

Bruce Momjian:
> As I remember, Linux turns off file system prefetch if a seek is done.

Correct (still so for Linux 2.4).

> BSD file systems turn off prefetch only if prefetched blocks remain
> unused.

"Unused" is decided when?
Do any, all, or some percentage of prefetched blocks need to be unused?

--
Matthias Urlichs  |  noris network GmbH   |   smurf@noris.de  |  ICQ: 20193661
The quote was selected randomly. Really.       |        http://smurf.noris.de/