Re: full-text indexing

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: full-text indexing
Дата
Re: full-text indexing  ("Brett W. McCoy" <bmccoy@chapelperilous.net>)
Список pgsql-general
> Does anyone have any experience using Postgres's full-text indexing in a
> production environment?  We're thinking about using it for a project (the
> other solution is to regexp it with Perl...).  I've set up the stuff
> before for experimentation, but am mainly curious about it's performance
> on a live, fairly heavily trafficked server.

I have one word for you:  CLUSTER.  Without it, index lookups are too
slow.  With it, they are rapid.  I have done some work like this
commerically with Ingres, which has an ISAM type that keeps the matching
rows pretty close on a newly-created ISAM index.  In PostgreSQL, and
regular CLUSTER will keep you good.

If you find it slow, let me know.  I have done some benchmarking with
the author and he found it pretty fast, usually a few seconds.  See the
section in my book on CLUSTER for information on _why_ it helps.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/awbook.html