Re: oid dependency question...

От Patrick Welche
Тема Re: oid dependency question...
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, Apr 07, 2000 at 01:18:47PM -0700, Andrew Schmeder wrote:
> So far, I have learned that every row, table, etc in postgres can be associated
> to a globally unique object id (oid), correct?  I tried to explore the system
> tables, pg_, etc but I could not find a table which actually just contained the
> oids, so I assume that this is hidden somewhere on a layer below the
> database...

Maybe this is useful for your quest for oids:

regression=# \d test
           Table "test"
 Attribute |   Type    | Modifier
-----------+-----------+----------
 d         | timestamp |

regression=# select * from test;
-----------
 -infinity
 infinity
(2 rows)

regression=# select oid,* from test;
  oid   |     d
--------+-----------
 148169 | -infinity
 148170 | infinity
(2 rows)

So, if you use "oid" specifically, it appears.

> I want to know what the best method to implement this system will
> be...  I am thinking triggers / store procedures?  but where do I store them...
> on each table that may have a dependency?
>
> any advice would be appreciated...

I don't know much about these things - my guess would be triggers in the 10
tables which on {update,insert,delete} deleted your cached page, but hopefully
someone more knowledgeable will answer this bit.

Cheers,

Patrick