Re: [HACKERS] Re: Feature Request

От Ross J. Reedstrom
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Re: Feature Request
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Feb 22, 2000 at 08:23:17PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Dear Mr Momjian
> >
> > Just a quick suggestion for an added feature:  "DROP COLUMN columnname
> > FROM table..." and "ALTER COLUMN columname FROM table..." queries would
> > spare my hair when I make mistakes in table creation.
>
> We have the DROP, but will not appear in 7.0.

One last little note on the whole DROP COLUMN discussion:

A snip from Phil Greenspun's photo.net site:

"Adding a column to a relational database table seldom breaks
queries. Until Oracle 8.1.5, you weren't able to drop a column."

My guess would be that Oracle found out internally  what we've been
discussing here: doing DROP COLUMN right is _hard_.

Ross
NSBRI Research Scientist/Programmer

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Cache query (PREPARE/EXECUTE)
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Cache query (PREPARE/EXECUTE)