Re: [HACKERS] Solution for LIMIT cost estimation

От Ross J. Reedstrom
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Solution for LIMIT cost estimation
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Feb 10, 2000 at 10:52:12PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:

> SQL92 does not define LIMIT at all, so it's not much help in
> deciding what to do.  Is there anything in SQL3?  What do other
> DBMSes do about this issue?  Comments, other variants, better ideas
> anyone?

I know I'm getting in on this late, but I thought I'd answer this.
The SQL92 draft only mentions LIMIT in the list of reserved words,
and once in the index, pointing to a page on lexical elements of SQL.

the SQL3 draft that Chris pointed me at (Aug94) only mentions LIMIT as a
limit clause of a RECURSIVE UNION, whatever that is. (No time to examine
it right now) This is from the file sql-foundation-aug94.txt.

Ross
NSBRI Research Scientist/Programmer