Re: [HACKERS] Does initdb -e is working ? (Latest dev. snapshot)

От Tatsuo Ishii
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Does initdb -e is working ? (Latest dev. snapshot)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Probably I miss something
> I tried latest snapshot and notice some changes in configure.
> Everything went smoothly on my Linux 2.2.14, glic 2.1.2 system.
>
> One problem: I tried initdb -e koi8 and it doesn't works -

Because someone has changed -e to -E.

> I found -e for initdb , -E for createdb options for specifying encoding a
> little bit confused - why not just use one of them !

So now both initdb and createdb use -E as you expect. I think this is
a good thing.

> Is't possible to change encoding of database except dump/destroydb/createdb
> cycle ? Is't worth to have pg_encoding to do this ?

update pg_database set encoding = pg_char_to_encoding('KOI8');

should work for you. However I'm a little bit worried about the
syscache staffs. It would be safer to shutdown postmaster then issue
the update command from standalone postgres.
--
Tatsuo Ishii