Re: [HACKERS] Happy column dropping

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Happy column dropping
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> I certainly don't want to discourage Peter, either, and perhaps
> was a bit too harsh.  But release of a feature this half-baked
> would fit the stereotype many people have held towards free,
> open source software, and postgres in particular.

I again am totally confused by the reaction to this.

Peter has done a lot for 7.0.  Only Tom Lane and Jan have done more work
on 7.0 than Peter.  He has also fixed many TODO items from the list.

We is not releasing tomorrow.  He is putting in what he has and asking
for advise.  Yes, it would have been better if he would have discussed
this first.  However, he is writing _huge_ amounts of PostgreSQL code.
Look at the new psql or initdb, or the other items he has done.  Maybe
he is too busy coding to bring up issues on the list.

As long as he addresses concerns we have, I can live with some
non-perfect code.  He is relatively new to this.  Honestly, only Tom
Lane and Jan are as energetic about 7.0 as Peter, so why rock the boat.

That doesn't mean I accept bad code, only that I am patient with
people's styles.

I can't remember the last time we all were so harsh, and I am concerned.

Let me see if I can say something everyone will agree on:

First, Peter, I hope you have not gotten too upset while reading the

Second, I know you asked for suggestions while working on psql, and
really didn't get much feedback.  You did a great job without much
direction.  Let me suggest you not give up on us helping you in other
projects.  If you get stuck or need a suggestion, just send a note to
hackers, and we can give you ideas.  Often this will make your job
easier.

Actually, when I get stuck, I post to the list and put the project down
for a few hours.  An answer to my question usually shows up very soon.
In the old days, I used to ask over and over again as I learned more
about the problem until someone figured it out.  :-)

I am thinking of calling 7.0 the Lane/Wieck/Eisentraut release.

Pennsylvania19026