Serial field starting at 100 ?

От Richard Walker
Тема Serial field starting at 100 ?
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Hello,

In SQLServer, you can do this:

CREATE TABLE fish (   fishID INTEGER IDENTITY (100, 1) NOT NULL,   fishName VARCHAR(32) NOT NULL
);

When inserting into that table, you don't mention the first field
and it will automatically use add 1 to the last value in that field,
starting with 100 for the first record.
If you wanted it to start at 25 and increment by 5, you'd put
fishID INTEGER IDENTITY (25, 5) NOT NULL.

I'd like to do something similar to this in PostgreSQL, but the
closest I can get requires that I mention the implicit sequence which
seems unneccessary hassle:

CREATE TABLE fish (   fishID INT4 SERIAL   fishName VARCHAR(32) NOT NULL
);

SELECT setval('fish_fishID_seq',99);

(Incrementing by 1 is fine by me).
Is there any way I can do something like:
fishID INT4 SERIAL (100, 1)
or
fishID INT4 SERIAL (START 100)   ?

- Rick