Re: Logical decoding slots can go backwards when used from SQL, docs are wrong

От Petr Jelinek
Тема Re: Logical decoding slots can go backwards when used from SQL, docs are wrong
Дата
Re: Logical decoding slots can go backwards when used from SQL, docs are wrong  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 02/09/16 09:58, Craig Ringer wrote:
> On 1 September 2016 at 21:19, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>
>> I agree the doc patch should go in, though I suggest reword it
>> slightly, like attached patch.
>
> Thanks. The rewording looks good to me and I think that
> Doc-correction-each-change-once.v2.patch is ready for commit.
>
> Meanwhile, thinking about the patch to dirty slots on
> confirmed_flush_lsn advance some more, I don't think it's ideal to do
> it in LogicalConfirmReceivedLocation(). I'd rather not add more
> complexity there, it's already complex enough. Doing it there will
> also lead to unnecessary slot write-out being done to slots at normal
> checkpoints even if the slot hasn't otherwise changed, possibly in
> response to lsn advances sent in response to keepalives due to
> activity on other unrelated databases. Slots are always fsync()ed when
> written out so we don't want to do it more than we have to.
>
> We really only need to write out slots where only the
> confirmed_flush_lsn has changed at a shutdown checkpoint since it's
> not really a big worry if it goes backwards on crash, and otherwise it
> can't. Even then it only _really_ matters when the SQL interface is
> used. Losing the confirmed_flush_lsn is very annoying when using
> pg_recvlogical too, and was the original motivation for this patch.
> But I'm thinking of instead teaching pg_recvlogical to write out a
> status file with its last confirmed point on exit and to be able to
> take that as an argument when (re)connecting. Poor-man's replication
> origins, effectively.
>
> So here's a simpler patch that just dirties the slot when it's
> replayed something from it on the SQL interface, so it's flushed out
> next checkpoint or on shutdown. That's the main user visible defect
> that should be fixed and it's trivial to do here. It means we'll still
> forget the confirmed_flush_lsn on clean shutdown if it was advanced
> using the walsender protocol, but *shrug*. That's just a little
> inconvenient. I can patch pg_recvlogical separately.

Okay that sounds reasonable, the SQL interface is already somewhat
different than walsender as it does not really "stream" so makes sense
to improve the behavior there. As a side note, I would really like to
have cursor-like SQL interface which behaves more like walsender one but
that's very different patch.

> The alternative is probably to add a second, "softer" dirty tracking
> method that only causes a write at a clean shutdown or forced
> checkpoint - and maybe doesn't bother fsync()ing. That's a bit more
> invasive but would work for walsender use as well as the SQL
> interface. I don't think it's worth the bother, since in the end
> callers have to be prepared for repeated data on crash anyway.

Correct me if I am wrong but I think the only situation where it would
matter is on server that restarts often or crashes often (as the logical
decoding then has to do the work many times) but I don't think it's
worth optimizing for that kind of scenario.

--   Petr Jelinek                  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/  PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training &
Services