Re: Calling json_* functions with JSONB data

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: Calling json_* functions with JSONB data
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 5/23/16 4:45 PM, David G. Johnston wrote:
> On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 5:38 PM, Jim Nasby <Jim.Nasby@bluetreble.com
> <mailto:Jim.Nasby@bluetreble.com>>wrote:
>
>     On 5/23/16 11:55 AM, Peter van Hardenberg wrote:
>
>         Fortunately, this seems quite easy to resolve by taking
>         advantage of our
>         ability to add json_*(jsonb) form of the functions.
>

>     Another issue no one has mentioned is functions that return
>     JSON/JSONB. IMO those should NOT be overloaded, because that will
>     make it very easy to accidentally change from one type to the other
>     without meaning to.
>

> ​Actually, by definition they cannot be overloaded.  A function's
> signature is derived from its input types only.

My point is that while it would be possible to create something like
json_strip_nulls(jsonb) to go with json_strip_nulls(json), that would be
a bad idea, because it makes it easily to accidentally turn your jsonb
into plain json.
855-TREBLE2 (855-873-2532)   mobile: 512-569-9461