Re: [GENERAL] looking for a globally unique row ID

От Rafal Pietrak
Тема Re: [GENERAL] looking for a globally unique row ID
Дата
Re: [GENERAL] looking for a globally unique row ID  (Gmail <robjsargent@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-general
Dear robjsargent@gmail.com,

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/90261791-b731-a516-ab2a-dafb97df4464%40postgrespro.ru#90261791-b731-a516-ab2a-dafb97df4464@postgrespro.ru

<https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/90261791-b731-a516-ab2a-dafb97df4464%40postgrespro.ru#90261791-b731-a516-ab2a-dafb97df4464@postgrespro.ru>

>> I can see the discussion is packed with implementation details. That's
>> promising :)
>>
>> Thenx!
>>

> For those of us scoring at home, here's what I have:
> 1 You have a 6-deep hierarchy over 17 document types
>     you concede that standard master-detail/inheritance accomplishes what you need w.r.t to documents

I do have 17 "process tables" ... they are "class-B" tables, they DONT
need any hierarchy. One of them contain payment details and has FK do a
document (in one of the 12 tables of "class-A", which are in 6 levels of
hierachy) which this payment covers. They get multiplicated ONLY because
PK in those 12 "class-A" tables must be accessed separately. And those I
have. It goes like this:

CREATE TABLE T1 (id int, b date);    -- level 1
CREATE TABLE T2 (c text) INHERITS (T1);
CREATE TABLE T3 (d text) INHERITS (T1);
CREATE TABLE T4 (e text, tm date) INHERITS (T1);
CREATE TABLE T5 (f text) INHERITS (T1); -- level 2
CREATE TABLE T6 (ca text) INHERITS (T2);
CREATE TABLE T7 (db text, db2 text) INHERITS (T3);
CREATE TABLE T8 (ec text, db4 test) INHERITS (T4);
CREATE TABLE T9 (fd text) INHERITS (T5); -- level 3
CREATE TABLE T10 (db11 text) INHERITS (T7); -- level 4

... still counting? And I haven't yet touch any of the 12 leaf tables
I'm using.

> 2 You don't have enough document instances to warrant partitioning

I don't. My couple of thousands of documents is just nothing. I don't
have "enough documents" (that's why I say I can live with a performance
hit). true, true, true.

But I do have enough document-content variety for that. I could collapse
some of the hierarchy at the expense of some columns getting NULL for
certain rows - but that's just nonesens. I'm not doing that.

> 3 Your remaining problem is your workflow

Sorry I don't understand this point.

> 4 You have an academic interest in multi-table indexing

Yes. so what?

As nobody have tried to advise me to change my schema, from my point of
view the discussion goes just fine. And I've got some very interesting
answers. Is there a problem with that?

What exactly are you trying to say?

-R