Help me stop postgres from crashing.

От Sam
Тема Help me stop postgres from crashing.
Дата
Re: Help me stop postgres from crashing.  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

I am a web developer, I've been using postgesql for a few years but
administratively I am a novice.

A particular web application I am working has a staging version
running one a vps, and a production version running on another vps.
They both get about the same usage, but the production version keeps
crashing and has to be re-started daily for the last couple days.  The
log file at the time of crash looks like this:

LOG:  could not accept new connection: Cannot allocate memory
LOG:  select() failed in postmaster: Cannot allocate memory
FATAL:  semctl(2457615, 0, SETVAL, 0) failed: Invalid argument
LOG:  logger shutting down
LOG:  database system was interrupted at 2010-04-24 09:33:39 PDT

It ran out of memory.

I am looking for a way to track down what is actually causing the
memory shortage and how to prevent it or increase the memory
available.

The vps in question is a media temple DV running CentOS and postgres
8.1.18

Thanks.