Re: Reviewing freeze map code

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: Reviewing freeze map code
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 5/6/16 4:55 PM, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> On Fri, May 6, 2016 at 2:49 PM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
>>> Jeff Janes has done astounding work in these matters.  (I don't think
>>> we credit him enough for that.)
>>
>> +many.
>
> Agreed. I'm a huge fan of what Jeff has been able to do in this area.
> I often say so. It would be even better if Jeff's approach to testing
> was followed as an example by other people, but I wouldn't bet on it
> ever happening. It requires real persistence and deep understanding to
> do well.

It takes deep understanding to *design* the tests, not to write them.
There's a lot of folks out there that will never understand enough to
design tests meant to expose data corruption but who could easily code
someone else's design, especially if we provided tools/ways to tweak a
cluster to make testing easier/faster (such as artificially advancing
XID/MXID).
855-TREBLE2 (855-873-2532)   mobile: 512-569-9461

Сообщение: Re: Reviewing freeze map code
Сообщение: Re: Reviewing freeze map code