Re: WAL insert delay settings

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: WAL insert delay settings
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 2/14/19 10:06 AM, Andres Freund wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2019-02-14 10:00:38 +0100, Tomas Vondra wrote:
>> On 2/13/19 4:31 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
>>> Greetings,

>>> Agreed, though I think VACUUM should certainly be included in this.
>>>

>> Won't these two throttling criteria interact in undesirable and/or
>> unpredictable way? With the regular vacuum throttling (based on
>> hit/miss/dirty) it's possible to compute rough read/write I/O limits.
>> But with the additional sleeps based on amount-of-WAL, we may sleep for
>> one of two reasons, so we may not reach either limit. No?
>
> Well, it'd be max rates for either, if done right. I think we only
> should start adding delays for WAL logging if we're exceeding the WAL
> write rate.

Not really, I think. If you add additional sleep() calls somewhere, that
may affect the limits in vacuum, making it throttle before reaching the
derived throughput limits.

> That's obviously more complicated than the stuff we do for
> the current VACUUM throttling, but I can't see two such systems
> interacting well. Also, the current logic just doesn't work well when
> you consider IO actually taking time, and/or process scheduling effects
> on busy systems.

True, but making it even less predictable is hardly an improvement.

cheers

Сообщение: Re: WAL insert delay settings
Сообщение: Re: WAL insert delay settings