Re: Windowing Function Patch Review -> Standard Conformance

От Vladimir Sitnikov
Тема Re: Windowing Function Patch Review -> Standard Conformance
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

Even though I understand the definition, your suggestion of COUNT(*)
OVER (ORDER BY salary) doesn't make sense.
Why does not that make sense?
I have not read the spec, however Oracle has a default window specification in case there is only an order by clause. The default window is "range between unbounded preceding and current row".

"count(*) over (order by salary range between unbounded preceding and current row)" is perfectly identical to the "number of rows preceding or peers to R" by the definition, isn't it? I see here a word-by-word translation from SQL to the English and vice versa.

If the patch returns "row_number" it is wrong since there is no way for row_number to be a "number of rows preceding or peer with R", is there?

Regards,
Vladimir Sitnikov