Re: Psql meta-command conninfo+

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Psql meta-command conninfo+
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 04.04.24 18:15, Maiquel Grassi wrote:
> Well, I can revert \conninfo to its original state and keep \conninfo+
> as it is, perhaps removing the application name, as I believe everything
> else is important for a DBA/SysAdmin. Do you think we can proceed
> with the patch this way? I am open to ideas that make \conninfo not
> limited to just four or five basic pieces of information and easily bring
> everything else to the screen.

The original \conninfo was designed to report values from the libpq API
about what libpq connected to.  And the convention in psql is that "+"
provide more or less the same information but a bit more.  So I think it
is wrong to make "\conninfo+" something fundamentally different than
"\conninfo".

And even more so if it contains information that isn't really
"connection information".  For example, current_user() doesn't make
sense here, I think.

I mean, if you want to add a command \some_useful_status_information, we
can talk about that, but let's leave \conninfo to what it does.

But I think there are better ways to implement this kind of server-side
status, for example, with a system view.

One problem in this patch is that it has no tests.  Any change in any of
the involved functions or views will silently break this.  (Note that
plain \conninfo doesn't have this problem to this extent because it only
relies on libpq function calls.  Also, a system view would not have this
problem.)