Re: [GENERAL] pg_dump 8.3.3 ERROR: invalid page header in block2264419 of relation "pg_largeobject"

От David Wall
Тема Re: [GENERAL] pg_dump 8.3.3 ERROR: invalid page header in block2264419 of relation "pg_largeobject"
Дата
Re: [GENERAL] pg_dump 8.3.3 ERROR: invalid page header in block 2264419 of relation "pg_largeobject"  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-general
On 5/24/17 4:18 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> David Wall <d.wall@computer.org> writes:
>> We have not noted any issues, but when I ran a pg_dump on an 8.3.3
>> database, it failed after an hour or so with the error:
> 8.3.3?
Yes, it's old.

>> cat /proc/version
>> Linux version 2.6.18-92.1.10.el5.xs5.0.0.39xen (root@pondo-2) (gcc
>> version 4.1.2 20071124 (Red Hat 4.1.2-42)) #1 SMP Thu Aug 7 14:58:14 EDT
>> 2008
> Egad.  I take it this server has been entirely unmaintained for ~ 8 years.
Indeed!  We are just the software vendor, hence our surprise too. They
didn't even know their backups were failing due to this error.

>> ERROR:  invalid page header in block 2264419 of relation "pg_largeobject"
>> pg_dump: The command was: FETCH 1000 IN bloboid
>> As we seem to have some data corruption issue, the question is how can I
>> either fix this, or have pg_dump ignore it and continue doing the best
>> dump it can?  That is, I'd like to create a new clean database that has
>> whatever data I can recover.
> Setting zero_damaged_pages would be a brute-force answer, but bear in mind
> that that's irreversible and it's hard to predict how much you'll lose.
> If possible, I'd take a physical backup (e.g. with tar) of the entire
> $PGDATA directory, preferably with the server stopped, before you do
> that.  Then you'll at least know you can get back to where you are.
>
> I hope this is being done as part of migration to more up-to-date
> software.
Yes, this was discovered as part of a migration to all new servers. We
have just put into place PG 9.3.4 and was looking to load it when their
last pg_dump was restored and got an error because it's an incomplete
dump.  We then when to run our own pg_dump when we found that it crashed
with the invalid page header.

Good idea on the physical backup first, while the system is stopped.

They do have a slave DB running via WAL shipping.  Would that likely
help us in any way?  Because the DBs are big (they have two at 191GB and
127GB), it takes a fair bit of time to do backups, transfers and
restores.  I'm trying to find options as it likely means downtime for
them that they are not expecting (yet).

Thanks for your help!

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] pg_dump 8.3.3 ERROR: invalid page header in block 2264419 of relation "pg_largeobject"
От: Steven Chang
Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] Current best practice for maximum shared_bufferssettings on big hardware?