Re: [HACKERS] Checksums by default?

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Checksums by default?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 01/25/2017 11:41 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Would you say that most user's databases run fast enough with checksums
>> enabled?  Or more than most, maybe 70%?  80%?  In today's environment,
>> I'd probably say that it's more like 90+%.
>
> It would be nice if there were some actual evidence about this, rather
> than numbers picked out of the air.
>
>> I agree that it's unfortunate that we haven't put more effort into
>> fixing that- I'm all for it, but it's disappointing to see that people
>> are not in favor of changing the default as I believe it would both help
>> our users and encourage more development of the feature.
>
> I think the really key point is that a whole lot of infrastructure work
> needs to be done still, and changing the default before that work has been
> done is not going to be user-friendly.  The most pressing issue being the
> difficulty of changing the setting after the fact.  It would be a *whole*
> lot easier to sell default-on if there were a way to turn it off, and yet
> you want us to buy into default-on before that way exists.  Come back
> after that feature is in, and we can talk.

+1

Sincerely,

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc.                  http://the.postgres.company/                        +1-503-667-4564
Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own.

От: Claudio Freire
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Vacuum: allow usage of more than 1GB of work mem
От: Stephen Frost
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] pg_ls_dir & friends still have a hard-coded superuser check